For Sale - 1993 Explorer XLT 4WD - San Antonio, TX | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale 1993 Explorer XLT 4WD - San Antonio, TX

kmack

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
zypkr_lGMguwbhLdd2Nt1_Ws7rnBdF5zfWVzlSqtx1jg=w2400.jpg

1993 Explorer XLT 4-door, automatic, 4WD

Due to changes in driving and vehicle needs/requirements, we have decided that it's time to let the Explorer go. I'm really hoping it goes to someone that will take care of it and keep it running for a long, long time.

It's not perfect, and it's not the prettiest Ex out there, but it runs very well and has been there when we needed it. Currently showing 11,500 miles on the odometer, but that means true mileage is 111,500 miles. The odometer has only rolled once. Not very many miles put on in the last 7 years (just over 35k). IN THIS THREAD I have listed everything I have done during those years. I also have paperwork covering the maintenance items my FIL did on it between 2008 & 2013 (he put even less miles on during that time than I have - about 16k).

This is a California Explorer that has lived in San Diego, CA; Edinburg, TX; and San Antonio, TX - in that order. The interior is in really good shape considering it's going to be 28 yrs old. Not tears, rips, fading, stains, etc. on the seats or carpet. The dash has two places with small cracks: 1) on the storage shelf above the glove box, 2) upper left corner right behind the windshield (some state inspection goon did that removing the windshield inspection sticker years ago). The headliner just started coming loose at the sun visors a couple months ago. There are no tears, burn marks, stains, etc. otherwise in the headliner.

The paint is the worse part of the Explorer. The clear coat faded away years ago on the hood and the roof, so the metallic that is still there is damaged... but it's still there. There is an area on the rear lift gate that some clear coat has peeled off. The black surrounding the windows is turning gray, and the paint peeled off long ago on the wiper arms.

The windshield has a few small chips and one crack in the upper right corner on the passenger side. About 3 years ago I had a leak along the upper portion of the windshield glass and the only thing I was able to do to stop it (short of replacing the glass) was to seal up the top of the glass with "3M Window Weld". It hasn't leaked since, but it will be a little involved if the glass is ever replaced.

There is some evidence of hail damage on some of the side window trims. I never did find any damage on the metal of the body.

Replacement bumpers are old Ranch Hand brand, they are solid and come with the Explorer. I will not sell them separate. The paint is showing signs of wearing thin on the top of the front bumper uprights.

Tires were replaced a couple years ago thru Discount Tire (I have the paperwork in the truck). They don't have many miles on them.

A/C compressor was replaced a few years back also. The system is currently on R-134 and working great.

4WD works and is still on the original automatic hubs. I have a complete set of manual hubs with locking rings that goes with the Explorer.

Anyway, there's a quick run-down of the Ex's life while in our care. If anyone is interested in buying, message me and let me know what questions you have.

I will be listing it for sale locally with an asking price of $3k and start from there.

There are quite a few pictures posted on the thread linked above. If you want pics of something specific, please let me know and I can text them to you or post them here.

Starting asking price for Forum members is $2,750, obo. We have a clear Texas title in our name.

Thanks for reading...

Ken
(If I think of more info, I'll post it below)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something else I just remembered for full clarity of vehicle condition, the fiber heat shield insulation under the hood has lots about 90% of the black covering. The insulation is there and complete, but it is basically all yellow in color when you open the hood.

** Updated the post above to include link to thread where I list out stuff done to the Explorer. **

Quick run-down of maintenance items over the last 7+ yrs...

Notable items repaired and/or replaced over the years:
- replaced all window motor bushings (sometime in 2014)
- replaced blower motor resistor pack (Aug 2015)
- replaced power steering pump/lines (Jan 2016)
- front wheel bearings replaced (sometime in 2016)
- Trans fluid/filter swap @ 106k miles (Oct 2019)
- Replaced driver-side cargo window seal (Nov 2019)
- rebuild engine cooling system (June 2020) - includes: new water pump & gasket, new thermostat, new ECT sensor, new radiator hoses, new fan clutch, new fan blades
- rebuild front suspension (June 2020) - includes: new front springs, new radius arm bushings, new front shocks, new sway bar end link bushings, and new rear shocks
- replaced headlights with new (Aug 2020)
- brake rebuild front/rear (Oct 2020) - includes new pads front/rear, new rear brake cylinders, full fluid swap

Other stuff added over the years:
- 4-way/7-way trailer light connection point added to rear bumper
- 12V power port in rear cargo area
- LED light/switch added to rear cargo area

SOLD!

If anybody is interested in pricing for these old Explorers, I sold mine this one for $2,400.

Figured I'd post this up to maybe help shed some light on market prices.

Back