1993 Explorer XLT fuel pump issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Explorer XLT fuel pump issue.

scasterline

Reaction score
City, State
Dalton, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
Fuel pump no longer comes on when turn key on. Checked fuses and relays and crash switch. Went to back out and it died. Had doen that before but always restarted. Fuel pump will run if you put a jumper in the relay plug but wont run if you turn on key. I think there are some lights out on the lower left of dash that used to come on also when key first turned on. Only vehicle and need it please advise if anyone can

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Greetings, I apologize for posting originally in wrong area, was just frustrated with pump problem and searching for help. I love the Explorer, I think it is the greatest vehicle they made. As to 4wd, gas milage, and comfort. Used it for years now, and Hope i can use it for more years, if I can get the pump problem fixed. Thank You all for being here.

CEL Light

No the csl light does not come on, only thing I see is the battery icon, and the ABS light. I have checked all over the explorer and not sure how to proceed. Appreciate your help. Thank You

PCM Relay

Ok, relay clicks. changed it out with one of the others in the box. When plugged it it clicks strong. So I guess it is ok. or not?

I would put a voltmeter on the red wire to make sure the relay is closing.

Red Wire

Where is the red wire. I looked all over and found pimk and white, it is hot with key. I pulled the distribution box loose, but it has a cover on the bottom. Do I need to remove the cover? I did slide a meter probe to the
relay and there is one hot key off, and two hot with key on. Sorry if I am not getting the total picture yet, but I am learning. Appreciate the help.

The red wire I'm referring to comes out of the EEC relay and feeds power to the PCM, ICM, fuel injectors, and the rest of the engine management system. If you are able to access the relay socket, you should be able to find one of those leads that is red.

Do you have a wiring diagram? That might make it easier to see what I'm referring to.

Red Wire

Shorty:
I took bottom off distribution box. Red wire is in three places. Feeds from one relay to another and is hot with key on. Dead with key off. I checked it
from the ECM relay to the next as is is chained one to the other and all are hot with key on, dead key off.

Wiring Diagram

Shorty:

Have a partial drawing in a cheapy covers all explorer manual but it is not
exactly my explorer specific.

Have a partial drawing in a cheapy covers all explorer manual but it is not
exactly my explorer specific.
Sounds like a Haynes manual. Should be good enough because the basic EEC relay wiring was the same from the mid '80's through '95, the last year for EEC-IV/OBD-1.

Red wire is in three places. Feeds from one relay to another and is hot with key on. Dead with key off. I checked it
from the ECM relay to the next as is is chained one to the other and all are hot with key on, dead key off
That sounds like the relay is working correctly. The next thing I'd check would be the power wire at the PCM (same red wire) to see if the PCM is getting power.

I have the FSM,give me 10 minutes and I will post the fuel pump circuit.:D

Ok here we go.

PCM Power

Checked the red wire just before it enters the control box and it has power with key on, dead when key off. Thank You for the wiring diagram.

Checked the red wire just before it enters the control box and it has power with key on, dead when key off. Thank You for the wiring diagram.

My pleasure.I also have the FSM for my 2000 on the way so if anyone needs a diagram just email me and I will post it on photobucket.:D

Fuel Pump

Do you or anyone know if the ignition switch would have anything to do with
no fuel pump, considering all the rest of things in this post, or if there are any other relays anywhere connected to the CEL light etc.

I am hard pressed to get this going as it is the only vehicle I have. I am proceeding as you all tell me so I dont screw up anything. Appreciate your help. Thanks for now and future help.

All three power leads? Are you sure the CEL bulb isn't burned out?

Do you or anyone know if the ignition switch would have anything to do with
no fuel pump,
Yes it is possible. The ignition switch is what causes the EEC relay to close. Where the EEC relay is closing with the key on, that suggests that the ignition switch is just fine.

Have you checked the fuel pump relay? There's a test lead in the self-test connector that closes the fuel pump relay KOEO. Can you ground that test lead and get the fuel pump to run?

CEL & Power Leads

Shorty:
You referenced all "3 leads" Are there 3 feeds at the computer or you referencing the distribuition box connectors also.

Also do you know what pins I short on the eec Test connector, to try to get the fuel pump to run? It has one large one with I think 6 pins and one small grey connector with one pin. Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shorty:
You referenced all "3 leads" Are there 3 feeds at the computer or you referencing the distribuition box connectors also.
You said you checked the red wire at the "control box" (I took to mean PCM) and it had power there. Somewhere between the relay and the PCM, the red wire splits into three, so there are three power wires to the PCM. I was just wondering if you had checked all three. (If I misunderstood what you meant by "control box" then disregard -- I didn't understand correctly).

Also do you know what pins I short on the eec Test connector, to try to get the fuel pump to run? It has one large one with I think 6 pins and one small grey connector with one pin. Thank You
I never remember. I think it's the end pin on the short end of the trapezoidal connector. Should be the same color as the wire going from the fuel pump relay to the PCM. Chiltons I think had a nice diagram pointing out the fuel pump test lead in the "fuel pump" diagnosis section. (for future reference, the one small grey connector is the "self test input" or STI connector used when pulling codes from the computer)

Back