1993 Ford Aerostar auto transmission to a 1993 Ford Ranger. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ford Aerostar auto transmission to a 1993 Ford Ranger.

eagle 1

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
93XLT
The auto trans. in my 1993, 3.0 2WD Ranger is slipping, I have located one from an Aerostar, but there is a note attached to the information that says shift levers must be swapped from Ranger to Aerostar Transmission. My mechanic and the wrecking yard does not know what this intails. If anyone has run into this before can you tell me if is it all external and can be handled by just changing my shifting levers to the Aerostar trans.?
Thanks all you have been a lot of help in the past and hopefully once again

Manny

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the Aerostar section. The bracket they are referring to is on the driver's side of the transmission. The older Aerostar vans were equipped with a floor mounted shifter. The later versions had a column shift. The bracket connecting the shift cable to the transmission is a little different since the cable is different. The end of the cable is the same (the part which moves). Either way, it only takes a few minutes to remove the bolts & swap the brackets.

Drop pan.
Remove locating pin.
Remove nut.
Remove lever.
Put Ranger lever in.
Replace nut.
Replace pin.
Replace pan.

Done.

Back