1993 Ford Explorer 4x4 auto Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ford Explorer 4x4 auto Eddie Bauer

ianwhitcombe

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer
Interesting problem.I'm in Australia, the car is in Samoa (Pacific Islands).I'm a diesel mechanic, 40 years experience.The engine developed a problem of water in the engine oil.When my son went to Samoa he found the engine seized.He removed the spark plugs and snapped the front crank pulley bolt whilst attempting to turn the engine, so it's stuck fast.I want to remove the engine, but cannot access the flexi disc bolts on the convertor so that I can split the engine away from the trans. I don't know if the seizure is in the pistons in the bores or is in the bearing journels on the crank.The engine is a 4.0L V6 pushrod model.It is married to an A4LD trans.I was thinking of shipping a used V6 pushrod engine from Australia, but Explorers were only imported into Australia 1996 on ie series 2, which are married to 4R55E transmissions. My question is. Will a A4LD trans marry straight up to a V6 pushrod engine that previously had a 4R55E attached to it,or is it necessary to change the engine bellhousing? If not able to be married, are the 2 different bellhousings able to be swapped, without any other alterations so I would have a (new) used engine, fitted with my old bellhousing and trans. Are the end crank face & flexiplate bolt patterns the same on the (new) and old engines. I will be bolting my original flexiplate to the (new) engine.Lastly, I'm still faced with removing the engine/trans from the vehicle.My service manual broadly states the engine sump is removed when the engine is out of the car.I don't really want to take the front diff & suspension out to achieve this. I need to know if the 2 rear torx sump bolts adjacent to the rear crank oil seal,are able to be removed while the engine bellhousing is still bolted up. If they are then I will look at removing the cyl heads, raising the engine, & dropping the sump & oil pickup etc, & slacking off the bearing caps & seeing if I can get the crank moving so as to access the convertor bolts, & thus release the trans away from the engine, & pull the engine out by itself.I'm hoping the (new) engine looming plugs etc will be compatible with whats on the car.Any advice/comments will be appreciated. Merry Xmas all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drop the Transfer case and the cross member and pull the trans and engine out together.

From there you will have better access to try and free up the engine.

And yes the latter model OHV will bolt up to the a4ld.

It may just be hydro locked.

Pull the plugs. clear out the water.

Still seized? fill cylinders with penetrating oil and let it set a day or two.

Use a pry bar on the starter ring gear "carefully" pry against the bell housing, this will give you MUCH more torque than trying to turn it by the crank bolt....which is now broken.....
This of course you can do with everything still in the truck.

:DOh and being in Australia is an interesting problem,,, Poor bloke!

Crank/flexplate/trans compatability

Hi out there.2 years later, I still have a 1993 explorer in Samoa, with a siezed engine,now out of the vehicle.I'm back in Australia,trying to source a used engine, which will be compatible with my A4LD trans, & not having much luck.Australia has only imported explorer's from 1996 on, & ones I've seen are all manual, with 8 bolt cranks, whereas my 1993 engine is 6 bolt, & auto. Is it possible to get a kit or flexplate, that will allow me to marry a 1996/1997 4.0L OHV (245cu in) to my A4LD trans.
Or, as another option, I can import a 6 bolt crank from USA, & swap it for the 8 bolt crank in the 1996/1997 engine, thus allowing me to fit my original flexplate.
Will the 6 bolt crank that fits my 1993 engine, fit straight into a 1996/1997 engine, if they are both STD? The freight costs of a used 1993 complete used engine from USA make it prohibitive, but a crankshaft & freight I could afford.
Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.
Regards Ian Whitcombe

1993 ford explorer eddie bauer

After nil response to my latest thread, I've lost faith in this forum.I've found my own 6 bolt crank explorer engine with only 120 hours on the clock,never been on the road. It was a test engine at the Ford factory in Melbourne, & soon will be in a container on the way to Samoa, I mean Paradise!!!

I wouldn't "lose faith" over that. Your post just may not have been seen by someone who could help you. This is by far the most knowledgeable and helpful forum there is for the Ford explorers. I hope that your new engine will work out for you, and if you run into any more issues, I'm sure you will find help here! Good luck!

I will move this thread from the "new member introductions sub forum" to the "stock 1991-1994 explorer sub forum" for better views.

This area is for introductions. Might explain the low view count-;)

Back