1993 Ford Explorer Antifreeze loss | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ford Explorer Antifreeze loss

dbillingsley

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
My 93 Explorer is losing about a gallon of antifreeze every twenty miles. I don't see leaks,smell leaks, my oil is clean, and the exhaust does not smell nor is it there any white smoke. Any idea where my antifreeze is going?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you just recently flush or drain the radiator?

How many gallons have you actually put in?

What conditions led to the start of this issue?

When the problem started, I took it to my local Valvoline store and had the oil and antifreeze change. I had the antifreeze changed because I had to use plain water a few days earlier. That was about a month ago. Until then, other than routine changing, I never put antifreeze in the truck.

In the past three weeks, I have put about three more gallons of water. I tried keeping the overflow tank full, but I found it does not keep up with the loss. I have to fill both the radiator and overflow tank.

A close estimate would be three gallon of antifreeze between fill ups, or 150 miles.

Nothing else has changed. The truck as 141k miles and still runs great. I use it to haul a camper to the coast a couple of times a year.

I am considering bypassing the heater core. While I don't smell antifreeze, it might be diluted with the AC condensation.

Back