1993 ford explorer fuel tank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 ford explorer fuel tank

Reaction score
City, State
Montpelier Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer
is the first gen explorer fuel tanks the same for 2 door vs 4 door i have a 1993 explorer sport 2 door that needs a tank i have one from a 1993 4 door explorer just need to know if its the same tank

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My situation is I was just giving a 1993 explorer sport 4 free it is in excellent 1 owner condition it already has a Gibson stainless exhaust performance chip and k an n filter. But it has been sitting since 2012. The gas is very bad smelling I have to driv it home no way to tow it. Should I just shphin the old gas out and out freSh in and run it or should I drop the whole tank and replace the pump befor hand. I have a tank from a 4 door that's already clean

Assuming the engine hasn't been run recently with the old gas, I'd drain the tank - and probably try to get all of it out that's possible by opening the connection at the filter and draining the line. I've started and driven a couple of Gen1's with 2-3 year old gas by just adding a few gallons of premium to an almost empty tank, again - as with you - because I had no choice. Didn't cause any problems.

My situation is I was just giving a 1993 explorer sport 4 free it is in excellent 1 owner condition it already has a Gibson stainless exhaust performance chip and k an n filter. But it has been sitting since 2012. The gas is very bad smelling I have to driv it home no way to tow it. Should I just shphin the old gas out and out freSh in and run it or should I drop the whole tank and replace the pump befor hand. I have a tank from a 4 door that's already clean

Personally I would just put the 4 door tank in since it is already clean. It saves you the hassle of having to clean the old tank.

If you go the route of dropping the tank and putting a new one in I would also recommend going ahead and replacing the fuel pump. It might cost more to go this route but it saves you the headache of having to drop the tank again later or cutting a hole in the floor.

A strong second for changing out the fuel pump and hanger assembly while you have the tank dropped.

They tend to fail quickly once they've sat and had a chance to rust up.

It could run for another couple of years but for a little over $100, it's a no-brainer. You shouldn't ever have to worry about it again.

Changing the tank, pump & fuel filter would likely be ideal.

At the very least, drain the fuel out and get some fresh stuff in. One way to do this would be to disconnect the fuel filter (replace it while you're there). Jump the fuel pump at the EEC-IV diagnostic connector and let it pump the fuel out. Be quick to shut it off the second you get any bubbles. From there, add 5 gallons of premium gas and maybe some fuel stabilizer. Hook everything back up and cycle the key to the on position then off several times to flow fresh fuel through the rail. I'd do this last step even if you swap out the tank.

That's a great way to do it, Nate.

Back