1993 Ford Explorer Lift Hatch Hinge Troubles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ford Explorer Lift Hatch Hinge Troubles

Carolyn Featherston

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
Hello, from Mississippi.. My name is Carolyn, I just purchased a used 1993 Ford Explorer.. I'm having trouble with the rear lift hatch.. The hatch is not aligned properly.. There is a big gap at the top of the hatch door.. Can some please tell me how too fix this problem so that the hatch door will close tight & proper...

Thanks In Advance, Carolyn F.

I too have a 1993 ford explorer that has this issue. I had ordered hinges on ebay thinking that might be the issur. But upon further inspection, ie looking at liftgates at a junk yard that close properly, its the sheet metal that the hingest attach to. On mine it was warped badly. It should be flush. I can post pictures later, as I will need to take pictures.

There should be 2 bolts on each hingr that attach to the lift gate. 8mm head. Check to make sure the metal around it isn't pulled out, the whole inside should be flat, same level.

There was a recall on the lift gate hinges, which neans Ford will fix them free.
Your problem may or may not be covered by that recall. it won't cost you a penny to stop by any Ford dealer and ask,.

Back