1993 Ford Explorer Xlt 4x4 budget lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ford Explorer Xlt 4x4 budget lift?

norcal925

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer Xlt
hey everyone, i just got this car about a week ago and the rear has been sagging a bit, especially when the car has weight in it. i want to upgrade the suspension front and rear but dont want to spend a ton of money, also i want to do a lift around 1 1/2 inches that will still look good with the stock wheels and tires, the stock tires are 27's
i was looking at this for suspension

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14512

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12345

if i was to buy those two what else would i need to complete the lift? and what leaf springs would i need to buy?
thanks, all input is appreciated
-Zac Myers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are shocks and will not lift your truck. If you want 1.5-2"s get a set of f150 lower spring seats (early/mid 90's 2wd) for the front and a set of shackles or add a leaves in the rear.

is there a website I could order those off of?

yep

will those lift the car an equal amount?

Thats an awsome price on those f-150 spring seats. Some dealers, if they can even find them, want well over $100 for the pair.

The Rear will come up "about" 1.5" and the front will come up about 1 5/8" or so.. Its not an exact science. It depends on how worn your suspension is..

If the rear is already sitting low then you may actually want to do a pair of add-a-leafs for the rear. The add-a-leaf will lift the rear about 1-2" depending on how weak your springs already are. In addition to the lift, it will stiffen the rear springs which is what you want if your leaves are old/soft/worn etc.. If the rear is still too low, then throw on the shackles.

Throwing warrior shackles on a very worn set of leaf springs can make it so you flex enough to invert the springs. That will help wear them out faster, turn them into an S and eventually break them. If your rear springs are in decent shape then I see no issue with running the shackles, but you said its "sagging" so it sounds like your have bad rear springs.

~Mark

Edit: btw.. I moved this thread into...
Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"® > Offroad Tech Forums > Offroad Explorer - Ranger Projects > Explorer - Ranger Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits

Thats an awsome price on those f-150 spring seats. Some dealers, if they can even find them, want well over $100 for the pair.

The Rear will come up "about" 1.5" and the front will come up about 1 5/8" or so.. Its not an exact science. It depends on how worn your suspension is..

If the rear is already sitting low then you may actually want to do a pair of add-a-leafs for the rear. The add-a-leaf will lift the rear about 1-2" depending on how weak your springs already are. In addition to the lift, it will stiffen the rear springs which is what you want if your leaves are old/soft/worn etc.. If the rear is still too low, then throw on the shackles.

Throwing warrior shackles on a very worn set of leaf springs can make it so you flex enough to invert the springs. That will help wear them out faster, turn them into an S and eventually break them. If your rear springs are in decent shape then I see no issue with running the shackles, but you said its "sagging" so it sounds like your have bad rear springs.

~Mark

Edit: btw.. I moved this thread into...
Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"® > Offroad Tech Forums > Offroad Explorer - Ranger Projects > Explorer - Ranger Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits

Ok cool thanks man, will I need to buy new shocks too? For the front and rear?

Back