• Register Today It's free!

1993 Hot Starting Problems

maanderson21

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ranger
I have a 1993 Ranger that's been giving me some problems. About 3 months ago the starter began to drag turning the motor over until eventually it stopped all together. The truck has roughly 350k miles on it so I assumed it was just the starter going bad and so I replaced it. Well here we are again and the starter has began to do the same thing again. It cranks up fine in the morning. But once its warm, if I turn the truck off and let it set for a few minutes, it struggles to turn the motor over. If it sits for a few hours it will crank up just fine though. Is the motor under some sort of tension once its warm and I turn if off that is fighting the starter? Or could I have something that is making the starter go bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your cables, and terminals at the battery. Check your grounds to the engine as well. If that all looks good, it could be a bad starter. Rebuilds have been known to go bad quickly, or be bad out of the box.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

^ +1. I went through 6 different starters on my f100 before I got one that worked.

As temperature increases, resistance also increases causing the problems you are seeing. Do as rick says.

Starter dragging indicates that the starter is staying energized after you let off the Start position on your ignition switch. Unless of course the solenoid is getting mechanically stuck.Your new starter may have gotten damaged the same way. You could test your starting circuit by putting a test light on the solenoid terminal at the starter and then operating your ignition switch as normal. It is not unheard of that an ignition switch sticks.
I also had a similar issue happen. starter went bad, replaced it and after a few starts it would not again. I messed with the starter a bit and it started to work, but then would not disengage. Turned out I had messed up one of the bolts on installation and while it felt tight it was not and I was not getting a good ground. Fixing that fixed my issue.

OneofMany I think he means dragging as in turning slowly rather than still turning after the switch is off.

I also agree that it sounds like a battery cable problem.

Back