• Register Today It's free!

1993 Mazda Navajo 4x4 Issues

Dillingr

Reaction score
City, State
Winona, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Mazda Navajo
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums. Very excited for finding this place as it seems there is a wealth of information here. Little background info, I bought this Navajo in summer of 2015. Shortly after I had a few issues which led me to pretty much rebuild the front end, U-joints, wheel bearings, rotors, brakes, tie rods, and some other things i'm forgetting.

Prior to a few weeks ago the 4x4 high worked great (never tried 4x4 low). One morning when I started my truck the 4x4 and 4x4 low light on the buttons and the dash all came on solid, not dimly lit. The vehicle was in fact only in 2wd. This morning was the first one in MN when it dipped below 20 for the year. pushing the buttons does nothing, all 4 lights stay on. after about 5 min the lights went away and I went on my merry way. Next day same thing, all 4 lights are on when it started in the morning. Now the lights stay on all the time. I ended up just pulling the fuse for the 4x4 so the lights would not be present the vehicle is in 2wd and runs fine otherwise. Any help as to where to start first in diagnosing this issue, I have read the 4x4 sticky and read a lot of the other peoples issues on the forum but i'm not finding anyone with this same problem.

Would it be easier / cheaper to just convert it to manual lock outs?

1993 Mazda Navajo LX, 150,500 miles.
Included picture of said Navajo - http://imgur.com/16sedGH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The manual hubs are definitely better than the auto hubs, but that won't fix your problem, as the front driveline receives power from the transfer case. Your problem is most likely the shift motor on the transfer case. I forget what , but there is a ring or something in the case that senses what position the transfer case is in to light the lights on the dash and such. There is a rebuild thread on it in the 91-94 explorer section here that will tell you everything you would ever want to know about your 4x4 system! Good luck with it, and welcome to the forum!

MN? Its been below 0 a few times already, and today it is above 20.

Sorry I meant the first day when it was 20 below 0 is when the problem started, but the problem persists even when we got the warmer 40 degree wether a few days ago.

There are contacts in the transfer case that let the 4x4 module know what range it is in. This is likely the problem.

Thanks for the info I'll start with the transfer case motor / position sensor mechanism.

Back