1993 ranger 2.3 when engine gets hot it seems like it's missing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 ranger 2.3 when engine gets hot it seems like it's missing

cavedogtodd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford ranger
Having issues with my ranger. I was doing normal dirving, when check engine light came on. and truck seemed to only have half power. It was very hot day. Let it cool off and runs fine till gets hot again. Tested ICM it was fine. Found bad coil, replaced. Now problem has changed. When it gets hot check engine light comes on. and truck feels like it is missing during acceleration, but only while driving. Scanner detects no problem when engine warmed up, but when light is on and enging hot, get 998 (major fault) and 224 (coil) I am at a loss, any help will do please. todd

1993 ford ranger 2.3 l 4cyl

I'm not familiar with the 2.3 L. My code list says that a CM 224 indicates a fault in the ignition coil primary circuit. You've replaced the coil, so maybe assume for now that the coil itself is fine. I would suggest getting a wiring diagram and a voltmeter and inspecting the rest of the primary circuit (probably have to do it hot, since the problem only seems present when hot).

Back