1993 Ranger XL 3.0 V6 with A4LD 4-Speed Automatic Trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ranger XL 3.0 V6 with A4LD 4-Speed Automatic Trans

Vance.e.bradley2

Reaction score
City, State
Leakesville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Ranger XL Red
I'm Restoring this 1993 Ranger XL 3.0 V6 2-wheel drive Single Cab P/U. I have already extended the lift 4" front and back wth new Coil Springs, Shocks, Leaf Shackles and, and.... I put another 3.0 Motor with new Sensors, Module, Distributor, Starter, Alternator, Injectors and kept the original Power Steering Unit and Fuel Rails. I find that in Replacing the A/C Lines, that little in line Orfice and the Accumulator that I am going to also have to replace the A/C Compressor-- its cheaper just replacing it.
The A4LD Auto Trans (4-Speed-- the 4th being the over-drive) was another story. Finding a remand or new Stator has been Impossible and the missing Kick down shift lever I need seems to be turning out next to impossible to locate....(Still looking for both.) In the mean time I simply replaced the Stator Gears with new ones, and because the Clutches, Bands, Planetary Units, modulator, valve body and Servos don't show damaged I Left them be. I did put a new Torque converter because when the guy who blew the motor (cylinder 1 & 2) it somehow caused the original converter to jam the smaller Stator Pump's Drive Gear which in turn caused internal converter gear damage. So replacing converter and Stator gears was necessary if tranny was to be useful at all. I replaced trans filter, fluid pan gasket, pump gasket, bell housing O'ring, its connector bolts O'rings, front & rear seals and front bushing. I added 1 bottle of Lucus 10009 Trans Lube and required Trans Mercon V Fluid. Everything seems ok except for the missing kick down shift lever which seems to cause auto shifting lag. SO I'M trying to find that level replacement.
I did have to replace the in tank Fuel Pump and in line fuel filter to get the fuel pressure right. I had to replace the passenger rear tail light lens to get all the lights to work right. Overall this truck is turning out to be a Cherry. Once I replace the cracked windshield, kick down shift lever, and A/C Compressor it should be ready for its new Ranger owner. Its current mileage reading shows 32,630.4 miles which includes the 105.1 testing miles I've personally driven it.
I do have one problem that pops up and it is that when driving at night the headlights suddenly go out. They come back on when you pull the lights low/high beam interchange switch located in the steering column's blinker lever so I'll open the column and see if that switch or wiring has a fault in it causing it. ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND THAT A4LD KICK DOWN SHIFT LEVER ?

You can try posting in our wanted section for the kick down lever, but your best bet will probably be a junkyard.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

I've been looking but no luck so far. Here's a photo of the tranny I need the kick down lever for.

20210728_162748.jpg

Back