1993 XLT "X" Front Caliper | Rotor | Brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 XLT "X" Front Caliper | Rotor | Brakes

Jeff Galford

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 93 XLT
HELP - 1993 XLT "X" Front Caliper | Rotor | Brakes

Good evening folks,

[ 1993 “X” XLT 4 Door 4 X 4 ]

Need a bit of help with this one. About 450 miles ago, I replaced the front wheel bearings and races, (Timkin), and front break pads. Also while I was in there, I had the front rotors turned (machined \ cut).

Yesterday while having an “X” full of people on my way to my cousins wedding, I noticed the “X” started to pull to the left, while braking. Hummm…. Drove about 1 more mile, then noticed the “X” pulling to the right, very hard while braking. Now looking for a place to pull over, I noticed I had to keep the accelerator pedal to the floor, just to manage 35 mph with traffic. Finally a stopping point along side of the road!!!!

Pulled over, smoke started pouring from the left front tire well area… Now while in “Park” I pumped the break pedal a few times, softer, softer, softer, NO BRAKES!!! Pedal just went down to the floor…..

Called a Taxi for the girls, they missed the wedding. I sat there for 2.5 hours waiting for AAA and a tow, and then I went to the reception.

Today, I ripped her apart, front left brake pads, scorched (white in color). Noticed the front left caliper frozen, the rotor a bright red color, (Coca-Cola red). The right hand side seems ok, during inspection. Off to the parts store!

Installed remanufactured ford front calipers, as well as new pads and pins on both sides. (BTW – I painted the calipers Ford Blue, high temp engine paint, saw this neat idea a few days ago on this forum – Thanks looks great). So she is now all back together, test drive. Yes we have brakes again!!! Road test – at first works perfect, after about 8 miles, the “X” starts to pull hard to the right again when I apply the brakes. Back into the drive way till tomorrow….

I did notice the front left rotor, looked kind of glazed (Remember Coca-Cola Red). Could this be causing a loss of braking on the left hand side, and the pulling to the right hand side? Do you think replacing the left rotor will fix this problem? (Since last time they were cut, 450 miles ago, that’s it, no more cutting they’re at the minimum).

Side note: Yes I know about greasing the caliper pins with grease. Also I knocked off the rust bunnies before installing the calipers and pins before, to provide a smooth surface. I read the postings on here about greasing the pins etc…. Sorry it’s getting very late……

So any ideas?????

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Galford
Pittsburgh, PA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you loseing any fluid?Sounds like you may have air in the lines?Did you bleed the system when you put on the calipers?;)

boiled brake fluid

Bleed and replace all of the brake fluid. Sounds like you boiled the fluid. Also take a very close look at the hose on the left side(the side that overheated) make sure it and the fittings are OK.

The rotor may or may not need to be replaced- with that much heat I cant believe that its not warped. I would replace them both since you have new calipers, pads. It costs some now sure but you will get much longer life out of the system.

Good Luck

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. No I’m not loosing any brake fluid, and yes I did bleed the front calipers when I installed them. I was amazed at the color of the fluid though, as it expelled from my bleeder hose. The new DOT 3 fluid I poured into the master cylinder was clear-ish in color, but upon bleeding at the caliper, a dark red, with kind of rust-ish color came out.

Upon reading the Haynes Manual, I see the front brakes are a common hydraulic system. As for boiling of the DOT 3 fluid, could this really be it? I’m new to the “X” and automotive maintenance, but very experienced as an aircraft mechanic. On aircraft we use Skydrol in the hydro system, and it never changes color.

Upon the road test very late last night, I didn’t notice any pulsations in the pedal, which would lead me to believe the rotors are warped. So for now, I have to believe they're true.

Now I have to decide what I’m going to try today to fix this problem. Thanks guys, anyone else want to step up to the plate? ;)

Jeff Galford
Pittsburgh, PA

If you were smoking the rotors getting to the 340 degree boiling point wouldnt be too hard. 340 is for fresh moisture free fluid- more than likely the BP was much lower with older contaminated fluid, moisture etc.

Did you bleed it until it ran clear? I had a similar thing happen to my 91 and until I replaced the fluid it was soft. A mechanic friend of mine said the fluid broke down when it boiled and had tiny air bubbles in it. True or not I have no idea- but new fluid fixed the problem. Bleed everything right left rear etc. It took me 3 or 4 qts (yes qts 32oz bottles) of fluid to get mine running clear.

May want to break the glaze on the rotor with some sand paper - Ive used an orbiltal sander and some 60 - 80 paper to get the glaze off.
If the fluid is OK then recheck the caliper slides and the pins. Check the rubber hose -heat and rubber is not a good combo.

Also may want to check the bearings again- the heat may have melted the grease away.

I'm far from the worlds greatest mechanic, but I redid the calipers on my 92 x and had to take bake the "remanufactured "ones because they werent so well "remanufactured". Just a thought.
P.S. How pissed were the ladys for missing the wedding????

Thx all,

Well, the girls were kind of pissed, but they understood.

Today I went to my local Ford dealer, for a complete brake system fluid flush / change, total bill, $71.00.

Now tomorrow I get to write a nasty gram to the dealership....Why? For spraying / coating everything in the engine compartment with brake fluid! There is fliud from the top of the intake manifold, to the bottom of the engine, on the left hand side of the motor, all the way to the fender.... I'm pissed!

Now the fluid change didn't fix the problem, of pulling to the right, when applying the brakes.... Off to the parts store I go....

Tonight, I'll install new flex brake lines, and bleed the darn system myself, I have 4 32oz bottles of DOT 3 ready....

IF this doesn't fix the problem, I think I'm down to the following.

#1: Remanufactured FORD caliper is no-workie.
#2 The rotor is failing because of the small amount of glazing on the surface. The pads just can't bite the rotor.

Any other ideas, I might have over looked?

I'll post my findings later tonight once I complete "todays" maintenance.

Thx,

Jeff Galford

I'm usre it's solved by now but it sounds like a frozen caliper on the right.

Back