1994 3.0L Aerostar 5 speed questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 3.0L Aerostar 5 speed questions.

puttputt

Reaction score
City, State
PNW
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XT 3.0 5spd
Cheers,

Many good reads here, thank you,... so thought I'd join the crowd and badger the wisdom.

I just purchased a clean '94 XL 3.0L 5spd shorty. This is my second Aerostar - the first was '90 3.0L auto XLText. I bought the '90 with a failed A4LD (I assume original) - very odd failure too, the torque converter had stripped splines. A reman TQ solved the problem. Sold the '90 last year after adding 35k. Anyway...

I just purchased the '94 last week, so haven't had a chance to become intimate with it yet. Just a 15 minute inspection & test drive, then drove it home. I did notice a few initial quirks...

1. Gas gauge doesn't work - (the '90 started doing this too, just before I sold it). Is this a relatively common issue?

2. Cold starts it lopes - seems fine after warm-up.

3. Does anyone know the production numbers (or % of Aerostars) W/manual transmissions? I see very few. Oddly enough I know where another 5spd Aerostar is not far from home. It has major front end damage, so likely a parts rig if nothing else.

-kenny-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Kenny, welcome to the fourm! Did you buy your Aerostar on Craigslist? I had found a '94 5-speed on CL up in Washington state a while back. Would love to have one personally.

Post some pictures of it!

What does your gas gauge do exactly?

Hey Kenny, welcome to the fourm! Did you buy your Aerostar on Craigslist? I had found a '94 5-speed on CL up in Washington state a while back. Would love to have one personally.
Thank you. Yes, it was a CL find. Oddly, the seller had it listed as a "4 speed", so I ignored the ad for weeks. When I finally did call just to satisfy my curiosity, I learned that it was not only a manual trans, but that she was the original owner. I'm in South central Idaho, and 'available' Aerostars (any Aerostars) are rare here - you might see one a month on CL, if that, then nothing for 3-4 months.

The '90 I had ran well for the 4+ years I had it, but I was constantly haunted by the prospect of being stranded due to a sudden tranny dump - especially since I knew that the '90's A4LD was original, so I regrettably unloaded it. When I learned that few 5 spd manuals were lurking among the masses, I eagerly set out to find one. I'll try and take a picture or two soon and post them.

What does your gas gauge do exactly?
Nothing.

I haven't had a chance yet to troubleshoot it. My query here was to hopefully discover a 'common' quirk because this my second Aero to exhibit it.

-kenny

I'll be a son of a )__+)_ LOL Yes, it's the same one I saw. Red with grey interior. I am glad somebody cool ended up with it. :) :thumbsup: :aerostar:

I too noticed the "4 speed", made me wonder if the guy ever drove it in 5th gear on those trips to Portland, was it?

Gas gauge could be the sender or the gauge itself. In the '90, I'd have said sender more than likely, havnt known too many with the electronic gauge cluster but sometimes those gauges go bad. My oil pressure gauge reads way wacked out (to the positive) but luckily my gas gauge works.

I had a 1989 Aerostar who's gas gauge got stuck at 1/4 of a tank of gas one day and I didnt know it until it left me stranded. Not fun.

Note: Is it weird that I look for Aerostars in a state I don't live in (Washington) currently? LOL. There is a 1996 XLT Sport extended length in western Wa for $1795 that looks real sharp.

Welcome to this forum! Most of the time the gauge isn't the issue. It's either the sending unit or the float which is attached to the sending unit. Both are replaceable, but you have to remove the gas tank (or cut a hole in the floor under the seat) to get to the top of the gas tank.

Welcome to this forum! Most of the time the gauge isn't the issue. It's either the sending unit or the float which is attached to the sending unit. Both are replaceable, but you have to remove the gas tank (or cut a hole in the floor under the seat) to get to the top of the gas tank.
Yeah... was suspecting that, but wishing instead for an electrical issue topside - don't we all. ugg! However, not all solutions are hidden and greasy... I my just spring for one of these instead....

http://mpguino.wiseman.ee/eng

Any trip computer or gauge will require an input from a sending unit.
The MPGuino pulls a fuel usage signal from the injector circuit, and a second signal from the vehicle's odometer/speed sensor. The OEM fuel tank gauge and sender isn't used or even necessary because the MPGuino not only measures MPG, but accurately calculates fuel used and remaining fuel in the tank.

"The only inputs are leads for the VSS and the injector, and a 12vdc supply, that is it."

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/MPGuino

Thoughts from a 91 Explorer

Cheers,

1. Gas gauge doesn't work - (the '90 started doing this too, just before I sold it). Is this a relatively common issue?

2. Cold starts it lopes - seems fine after warm-up.

3. Does anyone know the production numbers (or % of Aerostars) W/manual transmissions? I see very few. Oddly enough I know where another 5spd Aerostar is not far from home. It has major front end damage, so likely a parts rig if nothing else.

-kenny-

I've had to replace the float (which unfortunately is part of an all-in package with the pump/sending unit in the tank) in my 91 Explorer, which I assume shares parts. Took a while to drop the tank considering it had braces and a skid plate protecting it (welcome additions when off-roading). The metal appeared to have corroded to the point gas seeped in and it of course then didn't float. I drove the tank that way over a year, just buying gas at 250 miles whether I needed it or not, never ran out. Turned out I was pretty low when I dropped the tank too (ran it low as I was comfortable so I wouldn't be dealing with 100 pounds of dead weight).

As to the loping, maybe you have a vaccuum leak through either a hose or the tree itself.

Also, I discovered a potential related fuel gauge issue via one of the TSB's

"FEB 09, 1999 | Recall ID# 9057 Hide Details
Recall Reason ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING:FRONT UNDERHOOD
Recall Date FEB 09, 1999
Model Affected AEROSTAR
Potential Units Affected 23097

Recall Summary
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MINI VANS. HEAT GENERATION IN THE WIRING HARNESS TO THE FUEL PUMP/SENDER ASSEMBLY CAN CAUSE AN ELECTRICAL SHORT. THE VEHICLE COULD EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF POWER AND BECOME IMMOBILIZED AND THE FUEL GAUGE MAY BE ERRATIC.

Consequence
HEAT DAMAGE, INCLUDING MELTING OR CHARRING OF THE FUEL PUMP AND SENDER ASSEMBLY WIRE HARNESS AND ASSOCIATED WIRING HARNESSES CAN ALSO RESULT. THE SHORT CIRCUIT COULD ALSO HAVE THE POTENTIAL FOR A VEHICLE FIRE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A FUSED JUMPER HARNESS IN THE FUEL PUMP GROUND CIRCUIT THAT WILL BE INSTALLED AT THE FUEL PUMP INERTIA SHUT-OFF SWITCH.

Notes
FORD MOTOR COMPANY 99S01

Thanks cbach1997,

I haven't had a chance to get intimate with this beast yet, and need to focus on lubricants first -- engine, trans and differential drains/refills. The fuel gauge issue will have to wait until spring. And after a quick glance at sender prices, the MPGuino I mentioned earlier is looking better all the time;

fuel tank sender $51
MPGuino $61

There are two different sending units. One is calibrated for a 17 gallon tank, and the other is calibrated for a 21 gallon tank. Using the wrong one will display an incorrect reading. Do you know which size tank you have?

There are two different sending units. One is calibrated for a 17 gallon tank, and the other is calibrated for a 21 gallon tank. Using the wrong one will display an incorrect reading. Do you know which size tank you have?
Edmunds only list one tank for my model - 21 gal. http://www.edmunds.com/ford/aerostar/1994/features-specs.html?style=6716

And Rockauto only list a 21 gal sending unit: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1105131,parttype,4436

I've not filled it yet, so cannot confirm. Still, if troubleshooting points to dropping the tank, I'll lean heavily towards installing a MPGuino digital and simply ignore the OEM gauge. Be nice to have a real-time MPG reading anyways - great for testing tuning mods without repeatedly refilling the tank.

Are the other guages working correctly? Did you check the fuses?
Yes, all gauges seem functional except the fuel gauge. I've not checked any fuses yet, and I certainly agree that should be the first to-do. The only other electrical issue mentioned by the previous owner, was a slow battery drain - and they had replaced the alternator chasing the problem. I'm doubtful however, that symptom is related. The '90 had the same 'drain' issue and disconnecting the glove box light eliminated it. We'll see.

-kenny-

Re: the 5 spd manual availability...

Seems I'm getting conflicting info from a couple of sources. Edmunds states the last year the 3.0L w/manual was available was 1994. Also, their data indicates that the 1994 3.0L 5 spd was only available in the Cargo & XL's (shorties).

Wiki is stating that the 3.0L 5-speed combo was discontinued for 1996 production (implying it was still available in 1995)

Can anyone confirm either of these? Maybe a 1995 factory shop manual would reveal this?

What's revealing... is that the A4LD automatic was "optional". So if the vast majority is automatics, then the dealers were ordering and pushing more of the POS automatics than the manuals. This equates to big bucks for Ford considering the huge number of replacement trannys they likely sold that puked after the warranty expired.

It would be interesting to see an installation of the MPGuino if you decide to do that instead of replacing the sending unit.
Yes, it's a tempting install, especially considering the benefits at little or no increase in expense. I have a decent digital camera, so I can post the results. But again, that's not priority so likely a few months away.

-kenny-

What's revealing... is that the A4LD automatic was "optional". So if the vast majority is automatics, then the dealers were ordering and pushing more of the POS automatics than the manuals. This equates to big bucks for Ford considering the huge number of replacement trannys they likely sold that puked after the warranty expired.

The Aero used the A4LD automatic from 86 through 95. 86-89 were a POS in all vehicles, Rangers, Broncos, and Aeros. 90 and up A4LDs in Aeros seldom went bad, though the same EXACT transmission installed in Rangers and Broncos was a POS. Weird as the Aero is much heavier. Must have something to do with lead feet and maybe better cooling.

A4LDs in 90 and up Aeros often last 200 or even 300 thousand miles without problems. Mine has 369,000 original miles on the original factory (never been rebuilt) automatic and my curb weight is usually around 6,000 pounds, vastly overloaded. Even with my mileage, I have no fears of being stranded no matter how remote I am from help.

In the 7 years I have owned my Aero, I have picked up two spare transmissions with the same exact transmission codes as mine meaning both were out of shorty 3.0L 1993 Aeros. Both were sold to me for $10 each (including converter) by the wrecking yards, both have under 150,000 original miles, and both are good working transmissions sold to me as 'scrap' only because the wrecking yards were tired of storing a transmission that never sells. If mine goes bad, I will slap one of them in and probably get another 100,000 or more miles out of it before needing a rebuild job.

I have also dismantled hundreds and hundreds of A4LDs since they came out. I have never seen a 90 and later A4LD out of an Aero that was grenaded and have seldom seen one with burnt fluid. I have seen hundreds and hundreds of bad A4LDs out of Rangers and Broncos, some so bad the only way to get them apart was with a 10 pound sledge hammer smashing the case to smithereens.

So, is the Aero A4LD a POS? Not in my book. I abuse mine, and like a Duracell, it just keeps going, and going, and going, and going, and ........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Aero used the A4LD automatic from 86 through 95. 86-89 were a POS in all vehicles, Rangers, Broncos, and Aeros. 90 and up A4LDs in Aeros seldom went bad, though the same EXACT transmission installed in Rangers and Broncos was a POS. Weird as the Aero is much heavier. Must have something to do with lead feet and maybe better cooling.

A4LDs in 90 and up Aeros often last 200 or even 300 thousand miles without problems. Mine has 369,000 original miles on the original factory (never been rebuilt) automatic and my curb weight is usually around 6,000 pounds, vastly overloaded. Even with my mileage, I have no fears of being stranded no matter how remote I am from help.

In the 7 years I have owned my Aero, I have picked up two spare transmissions with the same exact transmission codes as mine meaning both were out of shorty 3.0L 1993 Aeros. Both were sold to me for $10 each (including converter) by the wrecking yards, both have under 150,000 original miles, and both are good working transmissions sold to me as 'scrap' only because the wrecking yards were tired of storing a transmission that never sells. If mine goes bad, I will slap one of them in and probably get another 100,000 or more miles out of it before needing a rebuild job.

I have also dismantled hundreds and hundreds of A4LDs since they came out. I have never seen a 90 and later A4LD out of an Aero that was grenaded and have seldom seen one with burnt fluid. I have seen hundreds and hundreds of bad A4LDs out of Rangers and Broncos, some so bad the only way to get them apart was with a 10 pound sledge hammer smashing the case to smithereens.

So, is the Aero A4LD a POS? Not in my book. I abuse mine, and like a Duracell, it just keeps going, and going, and going, and going, and ........
You'll need to excuse me... I'm generally not among the gullible. Not implying your 369k didn't happen, just that I'd need see the paperwork. I might buy fresh OEM A4LD's driven ol' fart sanely, religiously maintained and not overloaded surviving 300k, but not under the "abuse" you suggest. A 3 minute Google will uncover literally hundreds of failed A4LD's littering the net - and I owned one. This would seem to suggest that you are well among the minority.

http://etereman.com/blog/ford/the-ford-a4ld-get-to-know-its-problems-and-how-to-prevent-them/

But more importantly, it's prudent to maintain a monetary perspective. You buy a nice, well maintained Aerostar for say, $1500. Six months later... or even a year later, the tranny decides to unload.. usually when you're some distance from home. Tow=$350 Repair=$1250. You just exceeded the resale value of the entire vehicle. And at my age, I'm not overly eager to lay on my back while struggling with a 100 pound mass anymore. Bottom line for me; If the manual trans wasn't available in the Aero, I'd not own one.

Back