1994 4.0 sputtering and losing power whenever gas is applied. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 4.0 sputtering and losing power whenever gas is applied.

rustybluebeast

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
My 94 sputters and loses power whenever the gas is applied. I checked the vacum line from the fpr and there is no gas in it. Also replaced the fuel pump. exhaust smells like gas. Any ideas?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the egr valve is stuck open. might want to look at it to see if the valve is moving with some rpm. just start the truck an have some 1 push the peddle an see if the diphram is moving. could be carbon build you on the seat causing it from moving.

You might also have a bad electrical system for the spark. Instead of burning fuel, it is passing on through to the ehaust.

Be careful. A spark could make a BIG bang...

Mine did that at 65,000 miles. Turned out to be oxygen sensors. Had oxygen sensors replaced and still running well today at 180,000. Good Luck ! Please keep us posted.

Is the CEL illuminating? I'll almost bet, that its your DPFE EGR Position pressure sensor, go to Advance Auto Parts (emissions) www.partsamerica.com 65.00, for the upgraded plastic version.:) Also check your vapor control on the intake (silver like tube).Its all plug and play, and let that engine idle and the light will eventually reset, however, the rough idle should smooth out or the course of severasl minutes.
Mine did that at 65,000 miles. Turned out to be oxygen sensors. Had oxygen sensors replaced and still running well today at 180,000. Good Luck ! Please keep us posted.

I was reading in here someone else had the same problem. For them, it was the camshaft position sensor.

Rusty Blue, You did it! You asked for ieas, and as you can tell from the different posts, that is exactly what you'll get ... several different ideas.
We would all like to help, so give us some more info if possible. Does this occur in park or only under a load; is it constant or sporadic in occurring; have you ran codes?

Your problem could be fuel or electrical related. First you should try running the KOEO and KOER tests, get some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF, IAC and throttle body. Also, has the truck been running ok and this just started, or has it been sitting (not running) fro awhile?

My 94 sputters and loses power whenever the gas is applied. I checked the vacum line from the fpr and there is no gas in it. Also replaced the fuel pump. exhaust smells like gas. Any ideas?
thanks
Or egr valve control unit the opens/closes the valve. I would also check the small micro size hoses that run off of the back of the intake near the firewall. That sensor that is part of the EGR valving system, cost about 50.00 at advance auto parts. The old ones were metal, the newer improved ones are a solid resin/plastic, thus eliminating moisture better than the originals. Good luck!

My Ranger had the same symptoms way back when, would start and idle, then die as soon as throttle was applied, was the MAF sensor.

Back