1994 4Dr explorer ( window issue ) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 4Dr explorer ( window issue )

Mods m4

Reaction score
City, State
northern va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xlt
Hello

Im set on buying a explorer or ranger asap & I found a 4dr explorer (1994) near me but from what I understand the windows arent responding .

Are power windows a common issue on 1st gen explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you hear the motor run when you push the switch? If so, it's likely that the plastic bushings have worn out or disintegrated.

There's a 'stickie' at the top of the forum that details how to fix it. It's cheap and pretty easy. Neither of my back windows would move even though the motor would run. Did the bushing fix and they work awesome now.

Can you hear the motor run when you push the switch? If so, it's likely that the plastic bushings have worn out or disintegrated.

There's a 'stickie' at the top of the forum that details how to fix it. It's cheap and pretty easy. Neither of my back windows would move even though the motor would run. Did the bushing fix and they work awesome now.

I havent been able to hear or get in the vehicle.

Im seeing if I can go today & look at it ( I really need a mode of transportation ) a listen/look at the fuse & door jamb wires as well as test drive it .

I hope I can check it out because I dont get a day off til next Sunday.

IMHO, if you otherwise like the vehicle and the price, I'd get it. It may be something as simple as a fuse or a bad connection. There are wiring diagrams elsewhere on this site, and a bit of time with a meter might be all that's needed to fix the problem.

If the window motor runs but the window fails to move this is a well known problem with a cheap repair. If the window fuses are good but still don't work check the window relays. If all the windows do nothing check the window fuses and the ground near the window relays.

Back