1994 Coil Pack | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Coil Pack

shrkfan00

Reaction score
I have a 94 with 80,000 miles on it. My question is when should the coil pack be replaced? I changed the plugs and wires, but there is still just a very slight hesitation and it lugs a little at low rpms. Overall it runs very well. Gets about 24 mpg on thr freeway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you pulled the codes? There may be a code stored even if the CEL is off.

There isn't really a set time to replace the coil pack.. Most run it until it starts to have issues.. many are still running the factory coil pack well past 200k miles.

Ours has 375k miles on it..

~Mark

What kind of code reader did you buy? Did you replace the fuel filter? It could cause hesitation. Add some fuel injection cleaner to the gas tank after you replace the filter. Sometimes bad gas could cause similar problems.

That's the tester that I bought. I followed the instructions, but it does not work. When I turn it on the relays under the hood start clicking and then nothing, no read out.

So it sounds like it's entering the test mode, but the reader isn't getting any output. Does the CEL flash? In test mode, the codes can also be read by counting the flashes of the CEL. If the CEL is flashing, then the reader just isn't seeing anything, and you can bypass the reader. If the CEL isn't flashing, then there is a loose connection somewhere that is causing the computer to fall out of test mode.

Back