Solved - 1994 explorer/ac not cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1994 explorer/ac not cold

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

beardy

Reaction score
City, State
apopka
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 limited
I have a 1994 explorer V6 I have replaced compressor,evaporator,condenser,dryer, all hoses and blue orifice tube, also radiator ,and large electric fan.. Replaced system with 7 oz of synthetic pag 46 oil. vac pumped for 8 hrs. no vac lost overnight. put in two 12 oz cans of arctic freeze 134a freon. it was about 80 degrees outside. gauges red 275 high 60 low. air temp at vent is only 60 degrees, goes to 65 in traffic. not very cold. things i tried. orange, brown, red,blue, orifice tubes. tried different amounts of freon. i have a freon recycle machine, but used new freon, with each orifice tube.and vac down for at least two hrs. the different tube sizes gave higher and lower pressures, but low pressure never got down to 30s 0r 50s. i sprayed condensor with water hose while running, not much of a drop in vent temp. disconnected heater hoses, no change. red orifice tube seemed to be best but still only dropped to like 59 degrees. if anyone sees anything i missed, please let me know. than'ks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thank you, i have replaced evaperator with a new one and cleaned the casing of leaves and debrease

sorry, people, i switch the top lever on the controls to off instead of max ac and it dropped like a rock to 40 degrees and it's 95 outside here in fla.i knew it had to be something simple, everything in the system is new. i dont know why it works in the off position which is right next to the max ac position but i don't really care, as long as its cold. now i will hook my heater hoses back up, and mayby put the red orifice tube back in. it seemed to be the coldest by just a degree or two, when i was trying all the colors.not gonna mess with it for a while. just enjoy what i have. thank you for post.bob.

ya, i olso thought it would be simple fix. what got me looking at the heater/ac box, was my wife has a 97 moutaineer which i completly redid the ac in about a year ago, and it is the coldest air i have ever had in any vehicle. any way i have a temperature gun, and i took the temp of the output of her evaperator and then my explorer and they were both very close to the same. so if mine was as cold as hers why doesn't it come out my vents. i found a little tiny vacuum hose going into the underneath of the dash which was broken. tracked it down and it went to a vac motor under dash near vent. i'm guessing some kind of outside air thing. any way i ran new vac hose and told the wife i have found the problem goin for a test drive. to my dissapointment still 60 degrees. as i was driving i looked at the control panel and the top lever was in the max ac position. i grabbed the lever and pulled it to the off position witch is right next to the max ac position, and bingo air dropped to 40 deegrees. a lot of time and money spent, but at least it;s all new now. i'm just going hook the heater hoses back up today, and enjoy. thank you very much for your post. i'm a car guy, love my 93 explorer limited 4wd every thing works paint and iterior like new even has limited floor mats it came with. i replaced4.0 motor with a new one, not rebuilt but brand new so she's gonna be around for a long time.i also have a 87 irocz convertible. thank's again everybody. hope this may help someone else. bob.

Back