1994 Explorer with 180 degree Thermostat. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer with 180 degree Thermostat.

DUDER 1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nomad
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hello, I know this has been discussed before but I have not been able to get a solid answer on the 180 degree thermostat. Here is the deal I bought a 94x that is a trail rig that I drive to and from wheeling spots so its not a daily driver. My problem right now is that my thermostat is stuck open and is causing the motor to run way to cool and in turn my torque convertor is not locking up and causing my transmission to run HOT. I understand the 94 ex has to get to 170 to close the loop I think. The 180 degree sounds good then right. I was just wonder what you guys use as far as stock temp or 180 and what you would recommend. I hear people saying the stock temp is to hot for a trail rig. I live in southern California so it gets hot here and one of the trails we are getting ready to do is through the mountains into Vegas. I run the ac a lot in the summer also because of my little ones. I just want to know what you all are running and how its working out. Thank you very much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I use the 180* thermostat and stock set up w cam and wheel year round..

I do not run the ac because you will overheat and use approx. 30% more fuel running the ac..this is why you see signs on highways say turn off ac before hill climbs as most stock vehicles can not cool under load, at low rpms, or at idle, especially at temps over 75* with the ac on...

Ok so you have no issues with the torque converter not locking up with the 180. I was going to get the super stant and I noticed it did not have a weep hole. Do I need to drill one or leave it alone. Thanks again.

I drill a 1/8" relief hole in all my thermostats, if it's
not there already.

..I have never had a problem with either one of those issues nor have I heard about them myself.:dunno:

..Are these issues you have had when running the a/c wheeling or something you have read somewhere? if so, do you have a link suggesting these fixes for the cooling system and the a4ld?

...I know [MENTION=130714]Scott B[/MENTION]. had over 300,000 miles on his A4ld before it died...Maybe he can chime in on the issue..:scratch:

..If your thermostat is stuck open, I would think a new Stant t-stat would fix the problem...:hammer:

I was told by my transmission guy that the truck needs to get to operating temp over 170 for the torque converter to fully lock up. I will order a new thermostat the evening and let you know how it works out. Thanks for the info.

Back