1994 Explorer XLT Offroad - New Owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer XLT Offroad - New Owner

The Xplor94

Reaction score
City, State
Union City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hello all,

so i have been looking to get a SUV for camping/overland trip and some medium offroading. I got this bad boy from a seller that didn't know much about the vehicule history and the mods done to it. He bought it for the same reason i did but never really drove it anywhere and never took the time to understand what he got!

Now, i don't want to be that guy lol I am trying to know what i have and fix it up!

Here some pictures and what i know:

- 1994 XLT Red 4x4 4 doors
- 139,000 odo
- James Duff lift (4" ???)
- Custom front bumper with whinch (Didn't see brand or model number???)
- Open Differencial (Turn the wheel test)
- The Shiftster Manual 4x4 Selector
- Differential gear ratio 4.56 ??? (I turned the wheel 10 times and culculated diff rotation, x 2 / 10)
- After market head light Euro style with LED conversion
- Pro Comp tire 33X12.50R15LT Extrem MT2
- Custom Muffler ???
- Warn manual Hub Locker
- Light bar, Fog light
- After market radio

Never had a Ford before and my mechanical skill are ok but limited. Meaning that i worked on industrial equipement, not so much on cars.

Known issues so far:

- Intermittemp error 214, only come up on highway or higher rpm (didn't troubleshoot yet)
- Squicky suspension (migh be the type of bushing or the bushing are worn out????)
- When i turn the rear wheels, the drum brake appear to rub time to time, passenger side is worst then driver side
- driver window get stuck going up/down
- Small transfer case oil leak, i got 1 drip on the garage floor in 3 days, wiped out and got another one 4 days later.

My goal:

- Possible change the gear ratio, i'm barely doing 65mph at 3500 rpm, i do long road trip with some offroad, 75mph would be nice at least!
- Fix the error 214
- Fix the brake
- Change all fluid
- Change Spark plug / cable
- Change filters
- Fix squicky suspension
- Quiet it down a little, that muffle is LOUD!
- I don't plan to touch the transfer case oil leak unless it get worst
- fix driver window
- Install switch panel for accessories
- Install dual Battery
- convert interior for camping

Any comments / suggestion welcome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VERY nice purchase!
I moved your thread to a better section for comments and answers.
Welcome to the forum!

I fell in love!! I love that Explorer!

Great buy. Somebody spent some $$ on that thing.
How does the front ride and flex? I'm looking into that stage 3 Duff kit for mine.

Great buy. Somebody spent some $$ on that thing.
How does the front ride and flex? I'm looking into that stage 3 Duff kit for mine.

In all honesty, i do not know yet! I wanted to double check everything before going 2-3 hours away from home with it! It runs good, the gear ratio will drive me crazy on long trip, this thing is like a tank, 4.56 ratio gear is probably nice on the trail but on the road, it's a pita! I wonder if i can put 35" tire and gain some speed with it?

for $1600, i think i got a deal so far :)

Smoking deal. I'm looking at putting more than that into my stocker to get where u are.

Low gears do suck off trail. My Samurai has 5.13s and at 70kmh its @4000 rpm which means I'm stuck with local trails....and one of the reasons for buying the Explorer

35s should help...not sure how much tho

Smoking deal. I'm looking at putting more than that into my stocker to get where u are.

Low gears do suck off trail. My Samurai has 5.13s and at 70kmh its @4000 rpm which means I'm stuck with local trails....and one of the reasons for buying the Explorer

35s should help...not sure how much tho

Yup, that is my concern with that impulsive buy lol The gear ratio! When i went and look at it, i saw that no matter what, i could sale parts and get back in my money, so i got it on the spot. Now i need another $1000 to change the gears, i might try to go to the scrap yard and get a newer axle with brake disc and have someone do the front axle for me :) Still gonna cost.

I wouldn’t be in such a rush to change gears, 4.56 is not an extreme ratio.
Maybe you’re not getting into overdrive or some reason. Auto trans, right?

I wouldn’t be in such a rush to change gears, 4.56 is not an extreme ratio.
Maybe you’re not getting into overdrive or some reason. Auto trans, right?

Yes, Automatic. I'm sure there is a way to calculate Axle / Transfer case / Tire Size / RPM = Speed somehow? I am not sure how to go about it to know if the overdrive is on. The Speedometer is off and the Shift Needle is also off but it's fairly easy to know which one is selected. That said, if i could get a reference point to compare with, i might be able to know if the 4.56 is to low for me or the overdrive is not working? Any suggestion to figure that out?

At around 65mph, i'm around 3800 rpm. lol I didn't use a GPS or ask someone to follow me to get my actual speed, but i was slow even in the right lane, I'll try to get something more accurate to work with. My goal is to hit 75mph that can be maintain for hours.

That’s one of the better deals I’ve seen on a 1st gen. 4.56 is a decent ratio....and a lifted 1st gen isn’t going to be a great highway vehicle. 35” tires would work well with that ratio.

Bunch of calculators here: On-Line Calculators For Automotive Enthusiasts
It’s very possible that the speedometer driven gear wasn’t changed to the proper size when the truck was built up and regeared. I believe you that you are going slow, but it would be good if you could know your speed. If there’s a radar trailer nearby, or you could use GPS...
I would bet money that you’re OD is not working. I would think you should be around 3000 rpm with that tire and gear combo.

Bunch of calculators here: On-Line Calculators For Automotive Enthusiasts
It’s very possible that the speedometer driven gear wasn’t changed to the proper size when the truck was built up and regeared. I believe you that you are going slow, but it would be good if you could know your speed. If there’s a radar trailer nearby, or you could use GPS...
I would bet money that you’re OD is not working. I would think you should be around 3000 rpm with that tire and gear combo.

Thanks for the info, i will definitly dig deeper and try to figure it out. In the meantime just to feel better, i installed and replaced the switch for the LED bar and fog light :)

3BDF19FA-B3E1-4EAE-A50A-DC48D55FBC54.jpeg
This shows what your rpms should be with without overdrive.

My 94 auto ex has 4.56 gears and im running 35s, Yeah there's definitely something off with yours. Before running 35s, i had 31s with the tall gears for about 6 months, never rev higher that 2500 rmps or so to cruise on the highway. Currently at 2k rpms im doing 60mph, at 2250 65 and 2500 70 IIRC

couldnt find a trans speedo gear to correct my gauge, best i got it was 5 mph off, but i checked my speed with gps iphone app.

214 code is a cylinder identification circuit failure. I just dealt with this on a 94 sport. Get a Haynes manual for the proper procedure and specs to test the cam sensor located at the back of the motor about where an old Chevy distributor would go. Test that according to the Haynes manual procedure and specs. That ended up being our issue. It was a royal PITA to change, but no more check engine light.

214 code is a cylinder identification circuit failure. I just dealt with this on a 94 sport. Get a Haynes manual for the proper procedure and specs to test the cam sensor located at the back of the motor about where an old Chevy distributor would go. Test that according to the Haynes manual procedure and specs. That ended up being our issue. It was a royal PITA to change, but no more check engine light.

It took me an hour just to figure out where the CMP sensor was lol Now that i know the location, i really don't want to get in there before having another sensor on hand. 2 quick questions:

- It seems to me that ONLY the whole assembly is available? I found one for $100 on Amazone: CMP Assy.
- Does the top portion of the sensor detach from the drive assembly? If yes, can i only swap the top electronic portion and not do the syncgronization procedure? Like on newer model i beleive....

Thanks guys!

upload pic

Well im sure you can take the sensor apart, but i wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to swap the electronics just to ended up with two broken sensors :mad:

I had to replace my CMP sensor when i first got my ex about 10 years ago, picked up one from the JY and haven't had any issues since. IIRC the timing procedure wasnt too complicated, all you really need is a timing light. the sensor itself is only secured with one bolt

Quick Update:

- Cam shaft sensor changed - A Pain but done!
- 1st offroad trip around Bishop, CA 896 Miles total, no problem!

- New rear bumper with swing out carrier - Just need to paint!

- Next i will work on suspension, i am leaning on the driver side, Possibly new Leaf spring with Brian1 u-bolt skid plate, some spacer and i will look at body lift!

Build that yourself? Looks great! Awesome rig for the price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

quick update on the finish look for the bumper and RTT installed!

Back