1994 Ford Aerostar. The ignition cylinder will not turn. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Aerostar. The ignition cylinder will not turn.

andy93explorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer 4x4 2DR
wife has a 1994 Ford Aerostar automatic, last night we went to start the van and the key would not go into the ignition. her mom came over and tried to figure it out and manage to get the key to go into the ignition however now it will not turn. I need this fixed as soon as possible this is our family vehicle, any help would be greatly appreciated. This is kind of frustrating considering I'm having an ignition problem in my pickup truck as well. thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone to mHe ifI'm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i assume you tried wiggling the steering wheel.

at the worst case if it simply refuses to turn, you might have to replace the ignition switch assembly,

1) look under the plastic cover directly below the ignition switch;

2) you will see an empty hole;

3) insert a long pick rool and push up as you pull the ignition switch assembly out.

4) Replacement switches with new keys are available on eBay, not expensive.

try the suggestion of spraying WD40 inside the switch and on the key itself. Make sure you are inserting the correct key.

I had a similar problem with my '95 Aerostar. Except I was not able to shut it off. The problem was inside the steering column, the actuator from the key switch to the ignition switch had broken. I had to replace the whole steering column.

Back