1994 ford explorer full exhaust system ideas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 ford explorer full exhaust system ideas

REMIRED55

Reaction score
City, State
CALIFORNIA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 FORD EXPLORER XLT
Hello Everyone,

I recently had a rebuild re-done, it wasn't done correctly and I am in the process of taking the engine apart to redo the valves, lifters and rocker arms due to a constant loud ticking noise. Than I had the idea of making it a bad 4.0 Colagne v6.

Just to bounce ideas off you members and some research I have done on this site I plan on doing the following;

Install of Comp-Cam 49-422-8 *for more air flow and better towing*
Install of JBA Cat4ward Headers - 1633S-1JT
Install of Dynomax 17415 Cat-Back Exhaust System
Install of Feeda All Aluminum 3 row radiator
Install of High Performance 3 ply radiator hoses
Install of 16 inch electric fan with Temp sensor and mounting hardware
Removal of Clutch Fan
Install of 200 AMP Alternator with upgraded wires
Install of 2nd Optima Yellow battery*for winch and aux lights*
Install of Sky Jacker 2 inch lift system with Billistein 5150
Install of Steering Stabalizer
Install of Air bag suspension system rear *for trailer loads*

Some feed back on what I plan todo or if anyone has any experience with the following would greatly be appreciated

Also if anyone has any ideas for CA Catalytic converters, that would work best for this type of set up?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 422 cam is probably not ideal. Other people may chime in on this but I seem to recall the 422 being better for forced induction, with the 410 being a better N/A choice.

Make sure your headers have provisions for EGR and oxygen sensors.

Personally I have found electric fans to be not worth the hassle. Power gains are very small and the peace of mind of a clutch driven fan is worth it. Electronic fan controllers driven off a temp probe always seem to fail eventually and I hate having to watch the temp gauge all the time for the inevitable failure. Never again.

If you want to lift 2" for less money, F-150 coil spring seats and Warrior rear shackles are a 2" lift for under $100. Don't forget the alignment, and replacing the saggy OEM front springs with some new MOOG units is a good idea.

The stock cooling system is fairly robust in my opinion. If you want to upgrade the radiator and hoses you can but a good condition 2 row with good condition OEM hoses is sufficient.

Don't forget to show your transmission some love. A shift correction kit and some choice Sonnax upgrades plus an added auxiliary cooler will go a long way toward improving the trans longevity.

For the same price as comp cams you could get your current cams reground to whatever lift you want, for whatever application you want, and it'll make more power and be specific to you, just a thought. I've heard comp cams are kind of a cookie cutter cam, and cookie cutter usually leaves power on the table.

I have the skyjacker 2 inch lift (front springs rear add a leafs) and imo this is a MUCH better option than coil spacers and shackles, simply for the fact that keeping the 20 year old saggy springs isnt the best idea.

Just be aware, it's a very stiff kit. I enjoy the stiffness as it actually made the explorer handle way better, but some may not like it. I got rancho rs5000 shocks to compliment them.

The JBA headers are going to be a total waste of money. Even though I can't stand Pacesetter stuff, the Pacesetter headers, while still a waste of money, seem to be the better and less expensive choice if you MUST have headers. It's already been shown that headers on the 4.0L OHV V6 don't produce any measureable torque or HP gain, so you're better off saving that money and spending it elsewhere.

The Dynomax Super Turbo cat-back is a good DIY exhaust choice, but will be fine with stock exhaust manifolds.

I'd also say a replacement 130A alternator would be fine, you can get them as a stock item for a Ford Explorer Limited, and save a lot of money over a 200A version.

The aluminum 3-row radiator might be ok, but seems to be to be a fancy show piece that isn't worth it, compared to just getting a new stock replacement 2-row radiator.

Thank you for your input Arco777,

I greatly appreciate it, but do you have any ideas for my vehicles transmission set up,

Just to provide a little background on my car, This Explorer is equipped with the M50D 5 Speed Transmission with 60/40 limited slip differentials (front and rear) in 3.73 gearing. The vehicle was originally equipped with a 1 row stock radiator with no built in oil cooler. I replaced it with a 2 core radiator and it ran a lot cooler when I would tow, especially in the Desert heat.

Also Thank you Kiliona,

What kind of Cam shaft would you recommend for this car, I frequently tow with it, on both off road and on road with loads up to 6000 pounds. When I did the rebuild I replaced everything with brand new parts and had the block machined including a brand new OEM Camshaft. Also how does your car perform off road and on road (Highway) compared to the original suspension?

And also thank you Anime,

There are a lot of good points in your comments, What I'm really looking for is that deep throaty sound from the exhaust and Ive read that Pacesetter headers are bad quality.

Does anyone know any good CA Catalytic converters that can work for this Explorer that can pass smog yet provide performance?

I know I write a lot and I appreciate your patience with my questions

Thank you for your input Arco777,

I greatly appreciate it, but do you have any ideas for my vehicles transmission set up,

Just to provide a little background on my car, This Explorer is equipped with the M50D 5 Speed Transmission with 60/40 limited slip differentials (front and rear) in 3.73 gearing. The vehicle was originally equipped with a 1 row stock radiator with no built in oil cooler. I replaced it with a 2 core radiator and it ran a lot cooler when I would tow, especially in the Desert heat.

Ah, I was assuming you had an automatic transmission. Disregard my earlier advice then. The M5OD will probably be fine. If you have a sloppy shifter it can be easily fixed with new bushings available for a reasonable price at your Ford dealer.

If your towing and in Ca, count the 422 out and headers unless jba has a smog tag on it.you probably will have problems passing with the 410..also you probably wont have room for a efan with a 3 core.I know I going to run same rad and a efan.the rad will have to be modified.

Jd4242, is the 422 not good for towing?

Not really.is a mid to high rpm cam.its not much higher than 410 but if towing is one of your main reasons then I would pass...both cams will give you issues pass smog also, obviously the 422 will be worse..the 422 also requires dual springs and the heads to be machined. ..both cams require longer pushrods..

Walker, Magnaflow, and a few others all make CA-specfic catalytic converter assemblies for the 91-94 Explorer. I suggest getting the Walker from Advance Auto Parts using their website, since they have online coupons for $50 off a $125 purchase and free shipping, making the converter much less expensive. You could also check out prices at local exhaust shops.

The Dynomax Super Turbo cat-back will give a very deep, throaty sound, though it is also quiet and not extremely loud. Flowmaster also makes a cat-back for the 91-94 Explorer with their quiet 50-series mufflers, but it costs more than the Dynomax.

If you want to do upgrades for towing, and still pass smog, you are probably better off not messing with cams and just getting bolt-ons like the catback exhaust and new catalytic converter.

I have the Dynomax catback kit and am very happy with it. Installation was easy, the only part that wasn't a perfect fit was the tailpipe hangar (which was close enough).

Alright I think i have a general idea with what I'm going to do, I have just ordered what I need to do the mods, Thank you everyone for your input

Sorry getting back to you a little late since you've already purchased the suspension, but here it goes. If you're towing like you said I'd definitely get the skyjacker suspension. I haven't towed much with it but the stiffness would be perfect for it. On road in the snow and such I'm MUCH more comfortable driving because the handling is way more predictable and controllable with the stiffer skyjacker set up. Offroad I love it as well because it holds my tires down and gives me better traction on dirt/gravel. All around for the price id define fly recommend it. My only word of caution, and it probably doesn't apply to you since you're towing and are probably prepared for it, the suspension is stiff, no getting around it. It won't break any backs, but itisnt a Lincoln.

Back