1994 Ford Explorer Headlight Issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer Headlight Issue

Well since they work, maybe it was just someone that didn't like them running all the time? Watch your battery over the next few days, it's possible that there's some kind of voltage leak and that's why it was unplugged.

The guy who owned it before me used it off road and I think he disconnected the wire because of the exact reason you mentioned, but I will be checking the voltage as I just bought a new battery, the original one was still in there. Thank you Nate and everyone else who helped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you got them working. I'm curious to see how your truck comes out. Are you going to paint it yourself?

Glad you got them working. I'm curious to see how your truck comes out. Are you going to paint it yourself?

I am going to paint it myself but the weather here in Ontario has been hot/humid and I've only been able to do body work. I never painted a whole car before just little area's wish me luck!

Same here. Im working on the chassis now. It takes forever for paint to dry in this weather. It's about 80 and prob close to 75% humidity here.

Same here. Im working on the chassis now. It takes forever for paint to dry in this weather. It's about 80 and prob close to 75% humidity here.

I just got done doing a poor mans rocker panel repair. On my explorer on the passenger side where the dog leg is, has severe rot. I didn't realize you could order replacement panels, so I spent the whole day fabricating one with mesh screens and bondo.... I'm not impressed with the work because its really bad but when the door is closed you can't even notice it too much. Today it was 82 and the humidity was 98% I found the primer took forever to dry I waited 10 minutes I tapped my finger on it and some of the color came off. waited an hour and it was dry. I didn't take a picture of the poorly done repair as I'm too ashamed of how it looks....But here's what I've done to get an Idea what life is like in the rustbelt....

20160819_131349_zpspgugvwnj.jpg

20160819_163728_zpscc8t2h28.jpg

20160820_112652_zpsnmosvucg.jpg

I understand completely. Several of mine are similar to yours in rust. I got lucky with my JP project though. I found a rust free truck from California. There are pics in my build thread, If you haven't checked it out yet.

I understand completely. Several of mine are similar to yours in rust. I got lucky with my JP project though. I found a rust free truck from California. There are pics in my build thread, If you haven't checked it out yet.

I checked out your thread and must say you have an awesome looking truck, the best part about yours is its already red so you could simply mask off the stripes with tape and all you'd need to do is paint the Green and yellow I hope you don't mind me asking you for painting tips, I don't know what colour to start with Red Green or yellow, I bought the rustoleum 2x coverage spray paint it was more money so I figured if it's expensive it must be good quality and able to withstand the elements

Yeah, that's the first one. I started my project in 2013. Long story-short.. it's destroyed and I found another one (better). After being able to put my life back together, and start on my projects again I'm now where I was with this, when the unfortunate events of my previous situation hit me in early '14.

The second is gold and it's in far better shape. The red one will be cut up for the good sheet metal that's left to fix my other trucks. I'll be able to use my new rockers and stuff on other trucks. Luckily the hood and fenders are good as they are needed on this one.

As far as paint. I will be having this one done by a friend of mine. He is a pro and specializes in custon paint work.

Typically lighter colors should be put down first. Darker colors will cover better, and be harder to cover. Most people I've seen, shoot the yellow, then green and red last.

Make sure you keep things clean. I would sand the factory paint down and primer whole truck before doing color. Especially with rattle cans. Keep strokes close and keep moving to avoid runs. Spray cans can be very inconsistent. And they have a smaller effective spray pattern than a gun.

As far as paint. I will be having this one done by a friend of mine. He is a pro and specializes in custon paint work.

Typically lighter colors should be put down first. Darker colors will cover better, and be harder to cover. Most people I've seen, shoot the yellow, then green and red last.

Make sure you keep things clean. I would sand the factory paint down and primer whole truck before doing color. Especially with rattle cans. Keep strokes close and keep moving to avoid runs. Spray cans can be very inconsistent. And they have a smaller effective spray pattern than a gun.

Thank you for the tips I will be keeping those in mind The paint that I bought can also be used on plastics, I don't know how this paint will do on the chrome bumpers we'll have to wait and see

There are primers that will stick to it. Use brillo pads to scratch the surface. As long as the surface is not smooth and shiny paint will stick. But use primer first. It's designed to stick to stuff.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Back