1994 Ford Explorer Limited Edition | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer Limited Edition

VA7LFD

Reaction score
City, State
Langley
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited Edition Expl
My 1994 Limited Edition has a sunroof which just quit working. I pulled the drivers door panel off and checked the wiring and switches. I am getting no voltage ( 12 Volts ) at the switch. I checked all the fuses under the dash and at the front engine compartment all are in perfect working condition. Is there any other place I can check? I would love to have it working but if not I'll leave it the way it is as I don't want to get it stuck open and not be able to get it closed as that would be a *****. Just curious if there are any relays fuses in any discrete locations for the sunroof? My Explorer has 340,000km+ on it and enjoy it as I got it for a steal about 6 years ago. Thank You from Vancouver BC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My friends sunroof glass is out on her camry. She occassionly wraps carpet cover tape over the sunroof to rainproof it. They sell it at lowes in a roll in the carpet section. Might help you out if you get it stuck open. I know the glass shops use this repair method also.

My 95 Ranger sunroof didn't work, I bought it used, and they might have pulled a fuse, but somehow the seal for it, was damaged or gone, so it was leaking. I used black silicone all around the glass, and smoothed it out with a fake credit card. Since I live in Arizona, I don't want that extra sun cooking me anyway. I know this thread wasn't about how to seal it shut. But thought I would offer what I could.

Umm, 94 explorers did not have electric sunroofs, they were manual. 95-01 2nd gens, however, did.

Thanks for the replies guys. Mine is a 94 Limited Edition Explorer and it came with an electric sunroof. I did some more checking further and all fuses are fine in the fuse box under the dash and in the engine compartment if by chance. I guess I can just leave it alone in the closed position. How would I access the motor to the sunroof if I really wanted to challenge it?

You said you had no voltage to the switch? Did you try powering the switch feed from another source and trying the switch function?

New
Thanks for the replies guys. Mine is a 94 Limited Edition Explorer and it came with an electric sunroof. I did some more checking further and all fuses are fine in the fuse box under the dash and in the engine compartment if by chance. I guess I can just leave it alone in the closed position. How would I access the motor to the sunroof if I really wanted to challenge it?

So you have an aftermarket moonroof, as there were no OEM 91-94 Explorer electric moonroofs. That's gonna be fun. You would have to trace each wire to figure out where it goes and test it.

No luck. Thanks for all the help guys. Attached are some photos of my beast. I have photo of the driver side door with all the fancy buttons which I checked. Did a search and voltage checked all wires with no luck and no voltage. I am so lucky moon roof is stuck and not working in the closed position. Today I also removed the ancient fog lights which were rusted and not working. Will love to replace with really good LED ones. Anyone have any ideas on which ones to get that will fit my truck where I pulled the old ones from, photo attached? These things are always a work in progress......

20180707_151354.jpg

20180707_151335.jpg

20180707_151322.jpg

20180707_151447.jpg

20180707_151432.jpg

Back