1994 ford explorer / old man emu suspention | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 ford explorer / old man emu suspention

REMIRED55

Reaction score
City, State
CALIFORNIA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 FORD EXPLORER XLT
Does anyone know what Old Man Emu parts will fit a 1994 Ford Explorer?

Im looking into putting in a 2.5'' lift with Old Man Emu coil springs, shock absorbers front & rear and leaf springs,

Trying my best to avoid spacers

Any advise would help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old Man Emu makes 2.5" lift rear leaf springs for the Explorer. They used to make front/rear shocks but they've been discontinued for years. I never saw a listing for coil springs for the first gen from them, or anything similar.

Companies like Skyjacker and Rough Country make 2" lift springs for the 91-94, the OME rear leaf springs eventually sag the same as the lift coils will, so you'll wind up with about 1.5-2" of lift total.

Warrior rear shackles and F-150 coil spacers will mAke for an excellent 2" lift for under $100, alignment required of course.

Does anyone know what Old Man Emu parts will fit a 1994 Ford Explorer?

Im looking into putting in a 2.5'' lift with Old Man Emu coil springs, shock absorbers front & rear and leaf springs,

Trying my best to avoid spacers

Any advise would help

I got Ricks OME rear springs from his '91 explorer back when his X was black. to give you an idea how long ago he bought those, they are marked as OME-36 which is a p/n scheme they haven't used in 5+ years.

We still have the main spring and a few other leaves from that pack on our X now. There are 200k miles on the OME spring leaves. We have of course added/replaced leaves over the years and now its a franken pack. F-150, Stock Explorer and OME leaves intertwined. I "think" 2 leaves (including the main) are still OME.

Anywhoo.. The OME leaves are great for flex but they are not very good for towing and are closer to 2" of lift than 2.5".

What I Like about them is they are strong. As in, we haven't cracked them and I know they go inverted when wheeling.

6664844695_88ab18bbd3_z.jpg

truckhaven-rti-2011-1 by maniak_az, on Flickr

After looking at the pic above, I "think" 4 of the leaves in the pack are still OME. Also, we threw away (cut and used somewhere else) the overload as the OME overload hung down.

I almost forgot.. The OME rear springs work on all the 1st and 2nd Gen explorers (solid rear axle).. They are actually listed for the 2nd gens but they work on the first too.

~Mark

Are their any shock absorbers that can fit from OME that will fit on a first Gen Explorer

Probably, but why would you want to? Even when they made the shocks, they weren't that great, especially for the price.

You can get Bilstein shock absorbers that are made for the first gen, which cost way less and have a lifetime warranty. Bilsteins are what the OMEs were imitating, anyway.

I got Ricks OME rear springs from his '91 explorer back when his X was black. to give you an idea how long ago he bought those, they are marked as OME-36 which is a p/n scheme they haven't used in 5+ years.

We still have the main spring and a few other leaves from that pack on our X now. There are 200k miles on the OME spring leaves. We have of course added/replaced leaves over the years and now its a franken pack. F-150, Stock Explorer and OME leaves intertwined. I "think" 2 leaves (including the main) are still OME.

Anywhoo.. The OME leaves are great for flex but they are not very good for towing and are closer to 2" of lift than 2.5".

What I Like about them is they are strong. As in, we haven't cracked them and I know they go inverted when wheeling.

6664844695_88ab18bbd3_z.jpg

truckhaven-rti-2011-1 by maniak_az, on Flickr

After looking at the pic above, I "think" 4 of the leaves in the pack are still OME. Also, we threw away (cut and used somewhere else) the overload as the OME overload hung down.

I almost forgot.. The OME rear springs work on all the 1st and 2nd Gen explorers (solid rear axle).. They are actually listed for the 2nd gens but they work on the first too.

~Mark

Mark, do you or anybody else know anything about the new CS042r leafs that replace the OME36's? I noticed they are about $100 cheaper. I wonder if they work as well as the old ones?

Oops that didnt work out very well lol

Oops that didnt work out very well lol

I "think" I fixed your post to how you wanted it..

anyway.. No, I don't know their p/ns anymore. I have talked to OME (ARB-USA) and they were very willing to talk. That was a few years ago so I don't know their policy now but its worth a shot.

They even gave me spring rates for their springs when I asked since they don't make a 4" lift spring I wanted.

~Mark

I "think" I fixed your post to how you wanted it..

anyway.. No, I don't know their p/ns anymore. I have talked to OME (ARB-USA) and they were very willing to talk. That was a few years ago so I don't know their policy now but its worth a shot.

They even gave me spring rates for their springs when I asked since they don't make a 4" lift spring I wanted.

~Mark

Haha yes you did fix it thank you. And thank you for the help. Ill give them a ring and post any info i get.

Back