1994 Ford Explorer Radiator/Condenser Replacement Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer Radiator/Condenser Replacement Question

VA7LFD

Reaction score
City, State
Langley
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited Edition Expl
I have a leak in my A/C Condenser and was wondering to replace that do I need to remove the radiator? I am going to replace the radiator as I have purchased one to replace my factory original plugged one. Also do I need to remove my fan to pull out and install my new radiator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need to remove your radiator. You may be able to try to squeeze it past by leaning your radiator back but its not worth damaging your radiator or new condenser. Put bucket under it open the petcock and let it drain for 15 min. There are only 2 bolts at the top of the radiator and 2 hoses to remove from the radiator end, no need to remove the fan, it is pretty simple.

Holy smokes we were just talking about Merkur xr4ti in another thread and now I see Justin Gibson has one? COOL! where can I see it? @JustinGibson

You will need to remove the rad yes, but do not fret it is really simple
drain coolant via petcock, remove cap so it flows better
when its done dripping pull lower hose and let the rest of the coolant out
Now pull upper hose, close petcock. Remove coolant drain pan and use small pan to catch any ATF that drips when you loose the two trans cooler lines (if equipped) You do not want ATF in your coolant for recycle.
Now remove the two 10mm bolts holding fan shroud, pull shroud up and push it back over the fan
Now remove the two 10mm bolts holding rad to core support, pull rad up and out carefully........coolant will leak.
Now you are looking at your ac condenser

Holy smokes we were just talking about Merkur xr4ti in another thread and now I see Justin Gibson has one? COOL! where can I see it? @JustinGibson

You will need to remove the rad yes, but do not fret it is really simple
drain coolant via petcock, remove cap so it flows better
when its done dripping pull lower hose and let the rest of the coolant out
Now pull upper hose, close petcock. Remove coolant drain pan and use small pan to catch any ATF that drips when you loose the two trans cooler lines (if equipped) You do not want ATF in your coolant for recycle.
Now remove the two 10mm bolts holding fan shroud, pull shroud up and push it back over the fan
Now remove the two 10mm bolts holding rad to core support, pull rad up and out carefully........coolant will leak.
Now you are looking at your ac condenser
I think that was probably in the engine swap thread I mentioned a 2.3t swap. My XR stays on the back burner with me daily driving my 94 navajo and constantly tinkering with that. I have some parts piled up and I will eventually swap the garbage c3 for a t5, build it, and clean it up. But you can see it in my cover photo it. Right now it needs a serious buffing, paint corrections, and I need to reinstall the interior haha.

friggin cool those are a relic now!! Yes in the engine swap thread.
c3 auto..........yikes
Could a c4 be built up to go in there? a4ld? my trans builder can build a wicked a4ld using 5r internals

ooooooh red! sweet only ones I ever saw were silver??
Not many in Colorado but I had a friend who had one....back then I had NO IDEA They had the Ford drivetrains. Years later I rode in a Scorpio and was shocked to see a 2.9 under the hood

324587.jpg

Nice rides!

/off topic sorry!

friggin cool those are a relic now!! Yes in the engine swap thread.
c3 auto..........yikes
Could a c4 be built up to go in there? a4ld? my trans builder can build a wicked a4ld using 5r internals
People have done both the c4 and a4ld swaps. The a4ld is pretty easy because it is pretty much a c3 with an extra gear but I would rather have a manual trans. With the 5r internals does it make it a 5 speed auto or just a tougher 4 speed?
In europe the xr4ti is called a ford sierra xr4i and it comes with a N/A DOHC version of the 2.9 called the BOA but it is based on the same 2.9 we got here. It was developed by cosworth and it made 275 lb⋅ft of torque! There was a guy building a frankenstein 4.0 dohc with with parts from 4.0 OHV, SOHC, the 2.9 BOA, and BOB but I'm not sure it was ever finished but he was expecting big power. I believe it could have been on this forum.

VA7LFD sorry for the hijack!

Back