1994 ford explorer random no start when hot condition | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 ford explorer random no start when hot condition

cindyervin

Reaction score
City, State
Athens,tn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford
:usa:i have a 94 ford explorer the random no start if warm u can let cool off and it will start i have changed the fuel pump, coil, module, even changed the fuel inertia switch and nothing has changed i at my wits end i love my truck but i can't keep getting stranded

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What happens when you try to start it? Does the starter click, the fuel pump prime, anything?

Could be anything from the fuel pump relay, EEC relay, to the fuel pressure regulator, or even just the spark plugs and wires. Sometimes if no other cause can be found, the PCM is the culprit, the capacticitors in them leak onto the circuit board and cause all sorts of weird issues.

starter works fine it just turns over and over and just want start until it cools off if i drive it just short distants it will start fine if i drive it about 2 to 3 miles and stop and turn it off it just turns over.

A few checks I'd probably start with:

1) Next time you run the engine, pull the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and see if there is gas in that vacuum line. Gas in that vacuum line means bad FPR. In effect, it is flooding the engine.
2) While you are looking at the fuel system, next time it won't start, put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what the fuel system is doing.
3) When it won't start, does the CEL come on KOEO? KOEO, the CEL is supposed to come on to indicate that the computer is getting power. If it isn't coming on, check the EEC power circuits.

Have you tried the fuel pump relay? At first I thought that was my problem. Turned out that the EEC relay was also part of the equation and the solution.

Replaced the FPR once with an aftermarket replacement from Kragen. Intermittent starting kept on occuring. Then went to the dealer's parts dept. The EEC and FPR relays are interchangeable. (At least five of the six relays in the fuse box appear to be the same model.)

When you buy them from a Ford dealer, you have to buy two, so I had a spare. I changed the FPR first without much difference. Then thought I'd switch out the EEC relay too and damned if it doesn't start every time now, and has for 2 months.

It was a much smaller investment than the fuel pump (which I had already done.)

Back