1994 Ranger 4.0 5speed no spark or fuel pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ranger 4.0 5speed no spark or fuel pump

98explorerkid

Reaction score
City, State
mcadoo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a major problem. I was pulling a stuck buddy out the other night when my truck just shut off. After happening i realized the fuel pump wasnt running. I was able to jump the relay and turn the pump on. 3 or the 4 holes for the relay lit up with the test light. Is this right? or is power backfeeding the system. I also found out the truck doesnt have any spark. Any help for be greatly appreaciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first thought with no fuel pump and no spark is to check the EEC power circuit. If the EEC relay isn't closing (or some other disruption in the EEC power circuit) will disrupt both fuel and spark.

I had the same prblem a couple months ago. I fried the wireing harness that runs down my trans to some sensor causeing the fuse to keep blowing (Burnt thru on back of engine).... i do see you have a 5speed. Check the main 30 amp fuse in the under hood fuse block. Mine blew 3 fuse befor i had to search every wire to every sensor. It may be a bad wire somewhere that is grounding out the entire circut. Good luck!

backfrmcolorado: Where was the short on yours? And were you able to fix it by changing a bad sensor? If so, what sensor was it?

Got the same problem, gone through 5 of those fuses now after finding wires that *might* have been shorting. But haven't found anything that really looks like it would've blown a 30A fuse (no burn mark from a spark). Also mine is intermittent - replace the fuse and it'll run for a while, then suddenly blow a week later.

Is your X an automatic?

The wireing harness that burnt on my X is runs the trans reverse sensor i beleave and i think speed sensor. If youopen the hood and look down at the drivers side inner fender splash guard you will see two wireing harness conectors, i think one is black and one is gray. I know that may be a vage description so if you can't find it there go under the truck to the drivers side of the trans and you should see a a few wires running down just below the firewll and follow them down to the trans, unplug then give a tug to see where they are up top and disconect upthere as well. It's a pain to but pull the plastice and factory tape off the complete harness and check for cracked, melted or worn wires and replace as needed. I myself made a complete new harness but used the old wire plugs that conect to the harness. Good luck and if you need more help just send me a message and ill do my best to help ya out.

Back