Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
Hello,

My 1994 4x4 is having steering problems. I jacked it up on each side and found pass side rotor slightly loose. Removed keeper tightened nut, no more loose.
Drivers side seemed dry, I think that bearing might be bad. I repacked it just because I would need it to get to the store to get new bearings, which I will do.
Seemed slightly better after repack but still same issue.

What happens is, after taking a turn, instead of returning to straight the truck wants to keep turning. You have to correct it to keep it going straight, when correcting the wheel gets stiff for a second. It does it in both directions. There is an audible noise as well.
No play in ball joints that I can see, everything seems tight. It does feel like bad ball joints or steering shaft but I remember checking the shaft when I replaced the steering box and it seemed fine.
There is def high speed vibration as well. Ball joints have no grease fittings and truck has 93k miles on it. I’m not against changing the balljoints but I would want to do everything and that might be a bigger job than I had bargained for. If I can get my Mustang road worthy (waiting on parts) I don’t mind having the Explorer down for a while. But for now it’s all I have. Tie rods and center link do have grease fittings and look to be older Moog parts from the boots. No play that I can see.
P/S pump whines but is brand new and always did it. Turned lock to lock for like 5 minutes Fluid level is fine and new atf. Pump, box and lines are new.

Radius arm bushings I couldn’t see play there but I might be hearing some. The rear suspension is a little noisier than usual too, i’ll check that out.

If the truck doesn’t want to return to center after turning and is stiff when correcting for that, what is the common cause? I’ll replace both wheel bearings and report back. I seem to remember the parts store only having 1 wheel bearing in stock as I had issues before. Once 4 good bearings are in at least I can rule that out. Drivers bearing seemed bad anyways.

Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just some additional info-
This issue happened a few thousand miles after all the new power steering parts.
Not right after, I would think an issue with those parts would surface pretty quickly. I could be wrong though

Where did the replacement steering box come from?

There is a pre-load screw on the top of the box with a lock nut. It sound like there is too much pre-load in an attempt to compensate for steering slop.

Thanks for the response, It came from rockauto.

Bought new wheel bearings. Doing drivers side now, it needed it. Just for kicks I popped drivers tierod off and tried to rotate the spindle. Cannot do it even with both hands. So I’m guessing ball joints are freezing up, I’ll replace those shortly. Hopefully I make it to the parts store lmao

Quick question- will the knuckle come off the spindle easily?
I’m wondering if it’s front u-joints that are making it impossible to turn, but I won’t know that until I get the knuckle off.
Don’t think I have the special ABS sensor socket so I’ll try and unplug it if possible or just leave it attached.

I took a video but can’t upload it off my phone. I’ll keep trying lol

There are 2 bolts for the ABS. One for the sensor and one fro the protection block. The sensor bolt is 10MM the other one is like 6.5mm. Both need to be removed before you can take the spindle off the knuckle and get to the axle stub shafts.

Dang. Well thanks so much, i’ll have to see what i have. I appreciate the heads up good looking out

I prob have the size but isn’t it 12 point or something like that?

Last time I did this was over 10yr ago and I had a lift
Looks like I am in for a rude awakeneing lmao

Yes, 6.5mm 12 point. Turn the wheel all the way to lock for better access

Just a follow up-

It ended up being the fact that the 4x4 axle shaft u-joints were rusted solid. Replaced those and back to normal.

Been like that for 5 years? Hahahahaha awesome good job posting the fix! Those knuckle u joints are required to be in good shape for steering
My excursion is having similar issues, I’m 90% sure it’s the oem u joints at the knuckles (23 years old, 240k miles!)

Been like that for 5 years? Hahahahaha awesome good job posting the fix! Those knuckle u joints are required to be in good shape for steering
My excursion is having similar issues, I’m 90% sure it’s the oem u joints at the knuckles (23 years old, 240k miles!)
Hahaha no, i fixed it 5 years ago, just forgot to update. When i pulled the axles out, they were sticking straight out, completely frozen. It's a wonder the truck would steer at all!

Back