• Register Today It's free!

1994 X Ltd

mgmgmg

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 LTD '10 LTD V8
I have a 1994 X LTD with 140,000 miles about 2 months ago my x has troble starting on warm starts! (cold starts it fires right up no problem). I just changed the plugs and fuel filter pcv value etc. On the warm starts it takes about 3-5 seconds to start.... It hesitates awhile then idles just fine.. also i get a raw smell of gas? but after all that it idles and runs just fine.

94 X LTD 238,000
93 Mustang GT 37,000

Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suspect either the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm is leaking (fairly common) or one or more injectors is leaking. This would cause excess fuel to be present in the intake on warm starts, essentially "flooding" the engine until that excess fuel passes through. On cold starts, the excess fuel has had time to dissipate on its own. Nexst step would be to run the engine, then check the vacuum line to the FPR for fuel. If fuel is present, then the FPR is bad. If that proves inconclusive, obtain a fuel pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure leak down rate.

Now where do i find this fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. Is it easy to replace is it just a sensor.

Ken

Fuel pressure regulator is attached to the forward end of the fuel rail and is a basic back pressure regulator used to control the fuel pressure in the fuel rail. Inside, there's a diaphragm that separates fuel from engine vacuum. When the diaphragm fails, you have to replace the entire fuel pressure regulator.

I just pulled the FPR vent hose on the back of it.. I got alittle gas coming out from it? does that mean the FPR is shot? Should I replace it.

Ken

Yes, that means the FPR diaphragm is bad. You need to replace the FPR.

Thank You mrShorty I put in a new FPR..... Starts up with no raw gas smell and no hesitating!!!! RUN GREAT!!!! I'm a very happy man.... Thank You again!!!!!!!!!

Ken

Back