• Register Today It's free!

1994 XLT BAD Gas Milage

Tippy

Reaction score
City, State
Above Pittsburgh, Below Erie
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I am getting around 7 to 9 MPG using my XLT as a meter reading vehicle on the back roads of a rural area. it has 142,800 miles on it.
NEW All Terrain Tires
NEW front Brakes
NEW inspection
I changed the plugs and wires, and oil, air filter is fine... NOW WHAT???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...welcome here...

...as long as you gapped the plugs properly and change the air filter you should be fine...check your air pressure on your tires and i would disconnect the battery for 20 min.s or so as it may still be running as when the old parts were in...;)

Is your exhaust smelling bad and maybe black smoke coming out when you rev it? If so, I would clean your MAF.

What about the check engine light on? If so, you should pull the codes to see whats going on.

Are you sure you don't have some crap gas?

Thanks alot for the quick responses, this is about the 4th tank, so I dont think its the gas, I tried some additives but no real difference. Yes, my Cat smells bad, I think its the Cat. What is MAF and how do I clean it, sounds like its something I should know, can you give me a link?

Ive been reading about a Fuel Pressure Regulator, does this have anything to do with MPG??? also once its warm it idles very rough, and when applying brakes at a long red l ight, it almost dies. The check engine light comes and goes.
This is the first Ford vehicle Ive ever owned.

I would definitely check for codes, once you do that we will be make much better suggestions. 7-9 is horrible gas mileage...

Did you change the fuel filter? Very important to have a clean one!

Do a search on cleaning the MAF, also a common issue.

Welcome to this forum! You're not the only one getting 7-9 MPG. I get around the same mileage as you do. My exhaust smells bad too. Have the codes read, and check AlDive's thread called Quest for 30 for gas saving tips.

i would look into your fuel pressure regulator. my 91 x was gettin 8 to 10 mpg untill i changed mine now it gets 16. Still not good but better than 8 lol. another bad note is that it was totally cloged and i went threw 5 fuel pumps in a month. stupid on my part lol.

Ok, I cleaned the MAF, the back left leg toward the firewall was carboned up, but other than that it seemed fine.

Yessir, cleaning or replacing that MassAirFlow sensor was probally it, mine blew dark smoke out the pipe and had Horrible gas consumption, until I pulled off and replaced the MAF from a picnpull junk yard, it runs like a champ...

ok, it wasnt the MAF. could it be Fuel Pressure regulator? or clogged Converters? teh Check Enige lights comes on and goes off constantly.

...get the codes read and bring them back to us...:D

Chances are if your cats were clogged, your truck would accelerate like you had a semi attached to the back. You can pull the codes yourself. All you need to do is short 2 pins together on the diagnostic connector. I don't remember the procedure, but it is on the forum. Just do a search, its out there.

hello from georgia looking at some of the postings,and have found some helpful hints.1997 ranger flooding,never goes into closed loop mode,reader says insufficient air flow,is this the maf or am i getting to much fuel from a bad pressure regulator

hello from georgia looking at some of the postings,and have found some helpful hints.1997 ranger flooding,never goes into closed loop mode,reader says insufficient air flow,is this the maf or am i getting to much fuel from a bad pressure regulator
went to autozone reader gave codes p0121,p1794,p0135,p0132,p0122.tps has been replaced,maf has been replaced,temp sensor has been replaced,no change in flooding condition.problem seems to be code 0121.what will fix this.thanks johnny

hi johnny111111.been away for awhile,answer about the engine codes,p0121,p1744,p0135,p1132,p0122.noted that if the tps sensor is unplugged,the ranger stops flooding.looked in wiring diagram and discovered tps and defe sensor have the same wire that goes to both of them.have new tps,tried new maf that i borrowed,iac that i borrowed and new temp sensor,none of the above changed the flooding,also swapped fuel pressure regulator,still no change.appreciate any help

leaking fuel injector??

Bad PCM, tranny modulator valve or maybe a vacuum leak.

I have a 94 Eddie Bauer w/ 248k miles and had a similar issue. Now getting over 20 MPG on Highway and 18 city.

Your codes seem to be a mix of OBD I and OBD II. I would buy a code reader and pull the codes myself. $40-$50 at autozone. Make sure you buy one that is made for OBD I Vehicles.

Good Luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont understand what to do with the codes now

Back