• Register Today It's free!

1994 XLT Brush Guard/Grille Guard

Nula

Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I recently bought a pristine Oxford white 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 with 79k miles. Single owner, the guys father passed away and he didn’t want it. It’s genuinely a nice car, and I’d like to keep it that way! So I’m in the market for a brush guard/grille guard, but I can’t find them anywhere! I know they exist, and the type I want exists but nobody seems to be selling them. I can’t find one of any type on the internet, the type I’d like would mount under the bumper so I can keep my bumper, guard the headlights as well as the grille. I can’t even find a damned stinger on the internet. I’ve looked at junkyards but can’t find any there either. Any suggestions guys and gals?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think anyone manufactures anything like that for 1st generation explorers anymore. Used will probably be the only option.
Probably 15 years ago, I put a brush guard on mine from a 1998 - 2000 ranger. I modified the brackets to make it fit. If I remember correctly I did not weld anything but I think I made brackets out of some flat steel that I drilled out to fit.
36445326156_37b7a383e5_z.jpg

You will mostly need to find something close and make it fit, or look at something custom. There isn't enough of a market for grill guards on the 1st Gen's anymore and hasn't been for quite a while.

About 10 years ago, I was looking for the same thing for our Explorer (actually back then my FIL owned it). I searched for almost 2 years before I lucked out and found someone that was parting out a '94 Limited with full replacement bumpers.

GfT7iBhAdNDT0HgfoICqfa40MxCd0ymJlhp_iVoofZK5J7d1gg.jpg
KEjH6n3hUk-g9T4It9T7tmsBidfPLmPUWJZSADzut0sP2cwXaQ.jpg

This set is now worth almost as much as the Explorer! (Ok, maybe only half of the value of the Ex!)

I had a Warn Transformer brush guard and winch mount a few years back that I sold, practically had to give it away as there was next to no interest so its not surprising companies don't make them any more.

Having said that, I do have a design for one I am working on that I might add to my Brian Built product line up. It would be custom ordered with a lead time after purchased since they aren't that popular. It would bolt to the factory bumper bolts on the outside just like the one I had on my Explorer over 15 years ago and would have optional side hoops for headlight protection but they wont wrap around. I'm hoping it would fit in a large flat-rate box to keep shipping cost down and it would be fully bolt together however it would come in raw steel only as I am not in the paint business. If this is something anyone would be interested in let me know so I can make it happen.

I responded to a request in the wanted section here with an offer to sell one of my guards. Haven't heard back so still available. It's a custom Go Rhino style.Chrome, mounts to the bumper, not under. Notice it doesn't have the bottom step.
9u4r2te-jpg.jpg

If you really want one that mounts under the bumper, like the one below which I pulled from a yard for someone in november 2019, I actually see those available rather frequently. About 1 new classified containing 1 every 2 months.
20191128_133809.jpg

EDIT 22:09 06/25/2020 : There are also occasionally orders taken for Go Rhino style reproductions through the jpmotorpool community/forum. There was a feeler for interest in another run via a facebook group about a month ago I think. Again, those are mounted to the bumper, not under.

I built this simple bolt on push bar. I could definitely add to it & have it look more like some of the ones in this thread

Attachments

• Expo.JPG
    Expo.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 369

I responded to a request in the wanted section here with an offer to sell one of my guards. Haven't heard back so still available. It's a custom Go Rhino style.Chrome, mounts to the bumper, not under. Notice it doesn't have the bottom step.
View attachment 318040

If you really want one that mounts under the bumper, like the one below which I pulled from a yard for someone in november 2019, I actually see those available rather frequently. About 1 new classified containing 1 every 2 months.
View attachment 318039

EDIT 22:09 06/25/2020 : There are also occasionally orders taken for Go Rhino style reproductions through the jpmotorpool community/forum. There was a feeler for interest in another run via a facebook group about a month ago I think. Again, those are mounted to the bumper, not under.
Is the under the bumper one for sale?

the PO had stuck one of those on mine

Which post has the style you are referring to? If the bumper mount guards aren't installed correctly, hitting something with the guard can lever the bumper and crush the fender panels in. There should be a bracket added to lock the bumper in position to prevent this.

View attachment 318040

View attachment 318039

Good day,
Please check your pm's.

Thanks

Back