• Register Today It's free!

1995 4.0 V6 swap to 5.0 V8?

jalkon5403

Reaction score
City, State
McMinnville, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Sport, 2D
So I have this 95 Explorer Sport that I love dearly. I’ve done a few minor aesthetic mods to her here and there, nothing major and nothing to do with the engine. She runs perfectly, no issues at all since I replaced the clutch at 174k, and I just rolled over 179k. The thing is, I want a little more power.
I’ve been looking into it, and I’m thinking that once the engine stops running, I want to put a 5.0 or 5.7 Coyote in her.
What all should I expect? Is it possible? Most of all, is it really worth it($)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to ef!

A 95 2 door is easy to fall in love with they are so much fun to drive

your 95 sport will have the 4.0 ohv engine it is the only engine offered in 95

Yes a v8 swap is do able
The 96-01 explorer had a 5.0 v8 and a good automatic transmission that can be swapped in rather easily ( as far as swaps go)

A coyote swap is about 5 times the cost of a regular pushrod 5.0 conversion but anything is possible given enough money and time

Yes a v8 swap is do able
The 96-01 explorer had a 5.0 v8 and a good automatic transmission that can be swapped in rather easily ( as far as swaps go )

I’m leaning more towards the explorer engine after looking at prices. What I’m not sure about is if my transmission(I want to keep the manual) will fit into the v8 from a 00’. Do you know if it will?

I’m leaning more towards the explorer engine after looking at prices. What I’m not sure about is if my transmission(I want to keep the manual) will fit into the v8 from a 00’. Do you know if it will?
the m5od from your sport will not work with the 5.0. wont bolt up and not aware of any adapters. however, the m5odrh2 i believe from an f150 works, just liek the 4r70w

Are you 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?

Welcome to ef!

A 95 2 door is easy to fall in love with they are so much fun to drive

your 95 sport will have the 4.0 ohv engine it is the only engine offered in 95

Yes a v8 swap is do able
The 96-01 explorer had a 5.0 v8 and a good automatic transmission that can be swapped in rather easily ( as far as swaps go)

A coyote swap is about 5 times the cost of a regular pushrod 5.0 conversion but anything is possible given enough money and time

Ditto, I have read that a typical Coyote swap is costing close to $10k. I was surprised by that, but I think it's mostly unexpected swap stuff that makes it so high. The modular engines are also much larger than the older OHV engines, the heads would interfere with the AC box under the hood. So those are not great choices for these narrower engine bays.

The 302 Explorer engines are great swaps, and fairly easy given they were a factory option in the 2nd gen. I hope someone will someday try a later V6 to swap in, the 3.5 or 3.7, the version without the internal water pump.

Back