1995 4.0 v6 trans question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 4.0 v6 trans question

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn Hills(A-Hillz), Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT Ranger
I have a 95 V6 4.0L Ranger, and i am changing the clutch out (after succsessfuly geting the fuel pump working on the 2.2L I4 96 ranger). And i have everything out kept the starter and the last 8 bolts holding the trans to the engine....Now if you have droped a trans in one of these before you are bound to remeber the top two bolts (closest to the engine) there a ***** to get to (i think impossible). The best way seems to come in from the top of the engine (but its still a *****)..I also thought about removing the wheel well cover and going threw there.. I dunno I had to stop working on it tonight and that is where i last left off..If you could share some sort of a trick with me it would be nice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a lift great if not this is fun but possible and friend would help too.

remove exhaust out of the way and remove the trans cross member and let the trans hang down as far as it possibly can. now with along extension ( long as you can find ) and a chrome swivel socket or an impact socket made to that size and I think it is a 15mm remove the top two bolts.

thereis usually not enough room to use a universal swivel and a socket thats why I recommend a one piece deal.

now to make installation easier there is a body lip that runsacross the top of the trans tunnel you can make a cmall cut on each side of the tunnel and bend the metal over flat towards the engine. this little mod makes life much easier in the future.

it's been a long time since I have had to so this. so you may want to remove the fan shroud bolts if you do not have an electric fan and watch the top radiator hose.

have fun

F@cking took me forever..but i droped the trans, for members who will try to do this also i have learned the following thing...You MUST remove the exhust downpipe to get the trans out..To get to some of the bolts is a must to remove the wheel well cover to get to them, and for your own good drain the trans fuild before doing this( i got owned by the trans fuild i had to wash my hair 6 times and the shower is now black)...

sorry about the hair,
I forgot to mention putting a plug in the end of the tranny.

glad to hear that worked for you, and hope all is well now.

Have fun putting it back in if you havent done so allready.

take care

ford ranger starting problems.. HELP!!!! please

hey i have a 1995 ford ranger 4.0L v6....
i realized my starter was loose after i heard rattling..while loose it would start.. when i tightened it up the truck will not start. i bought a new started slapped that puppy up in there and the same thing happened.. it jus cranks. they say my fly wheel it chewed up but when i look at the fly wheel there is tiny super tiny scratchs. they said it would be more than that.
can anyone help me out???
please this truck is my life!!!!

p.s. it looks as though my bell housing has moved or the tranmission has moved. idk??? i dont go 4-wheelin or mudddin so whats the problem.

HELP!!! :(

Back