1995 4.0L Ford Aerostar. I have a no start condition. It turns over but won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 4.0L Ford Aerostar. I have a no start condition. It turns over but won't start.

akgermain

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ford aerostar
I have a 95 ford aerostar 4.0 that started in subzero weather, ran for about 10 minutes and then shut off. It would not start again. Waited til it got warmer outside and replaced the fuel filter which was needed. Now it sounds like it wants to start. Turns over fine, kinda starts for a second, and then shuts off again. Sometimes when trying to start it I hear a sort of "fooomph" almost like it is trying to back fire but the sound is coming from the engine compartment. On my own so don't know exactly where that sound is coming from. Really need to get this thing running as I need it to keep my job. Appreciate any help you all can give me!
I can hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key and when it shuts off.
Getting fuel, have spark, gap on plugs is good. Disconnected battery quite a few times while under the hood. Turns over great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know I'm just gonna say "reboot" on this one.

There is a lot of things that could cause this.

So let's keep it simple for now, and just reboot.

When my desktop computer crashes the my first though is "reboot"

So disconnect both battery cables for 2 minutes, "reboot" and try again.

Hope this does the trick.

This will at least rule out computer glitch.

Never heard of the "reboot". Is this really a potential thing? I am not a mechanic by any stretch but that sounds a little hinky. Any one else heard of the reboot?

I'm saying disconnect your battery to "reset" the computer. It is a computer controlled engine. Sometimes it makes errors just like any other computer.

Your Windows desktop computer ever crash and require a "restart"?

Disconnecting the battery cables for 2 minutes will "reset" the vehicles computer the the original factory defaults. These are "learning" computers that make adjustments to the engine as you drive, and sometimes you get a glitch.

This is just a first step in trouble shooting your problem.

On the other hand it can also be the fix.

I have had my truck fail to start because the computer had registered a fault, you know "fault codes" that can cause the Check Engine Light to come on.

All that was needed was a "reboot"-"reset" whatever you care to call it.

BOTH CABLES TWO MINUTES MINIMUM.

try the reboot but it did not work. Thank you for the information. Did not want to make it sound like I didn't trust you. Appreciate your help.

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the Aerostar section. We have to analyze the issue in order to determine what is causing the no start condition. You said that it makes a noise like a backfire. Do you have a check engine light? If so, then what's the code number? The code will clear if you disconnect the battery, and cause the computer to go through a learning cycle, but will come back again if the fault is not corrected. Did you ever replace the CPS or clean the MAF sensor? Were the ignition wires replaced recently? Did you check the firing order? Do you have sufficient exhaust flow? Is the catalytic converter clogged?

Back