1995 Aerostar. No cruise control or overdrive. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Aerostar. No cruise control or overdrive.

CLTuna

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Aerostar
Both worked fine in October. hardly drove it through the winter since it's a "one wheel wonder". It was a nice day so I took it out on the interstate. No 4th gear OD and no cruise. I changed a fuel filter back in November on a similar nice day. Otherwise van has been parked. I checked the vacuum line connections near the heater fan housing.

Is there a certain fuse or fuse link I should check? Read another forum post, maybe a fuse link E?

Attachments

• fuse Link E.jpg
    fuse Link E.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 129

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brake on/off switch cancels cruise and lockup operation, I'd start there.

Thanks Josh. I assume you're talking about the white switch with what looks like a vacuum hose attached to it.

Anti-lock and speedo seem to be working fine, no issues. I cleaned that sensor, probably from the advice of a post on this forum, about 10k ago(2 years). Last fall I had to tighten the torx head bolts that secure the shift selector linkage. This forum very valuable. Thanks for all you guys do! Maybe I'll figure out how to make the OD & CC work again.

I've read on other forums, a burned out taillight, switching to LED lights without a resistor or bad brake switch has caused this problem. On the 91 van I had, I think the switch was attached to the pedal pivot rod on the brake pedal.

There are two devices connected to the brake pedal. One is an electric switch, the other is the dump valve. I'll check brake light bulbs. This is a similar dump valve. After cleaning both switches with contact cleaner i took it out to test. No change. I did pick up a large screw or nail in one of my tires at the outer edge of the tread. Discount said they couldn't fix it. Now working on finding a tire.

Attachments

• brake pedal dump valve.jpg
    brake pedal dump valve.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 133

Many DIY'ers say the tire is repairable. Tire shops, not! To attempt it does not comply with tire safety standards written for the tire manufacturers first and consumers second (once failures occurred). I may attempt a repair with a Safety Seal kit my son has for 4-wheeling. I plan to mark it in some way and always keep it on the rear until my local used tire guy finds me some decent replacements. The red arrow in the image shows location and entry angle.

Attachments

• tech_tire_puncture_repair.jpg
    tech_tire_puncture_repair.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 124

Ok, weather nice enough outside to check why 1995 Aerostar 4.0L OD isn't working. Checked: Fuses (mag & reg), brake pedal plunger valve, pedal brake switch, 3/8" vacuum line to cruise diaphragm, small vacuum lines, elec. connections at transmission under vehicle, brake lights.
All in working order. Anything else to check before dropping pan to replace tranny shift modules?

Also searched for a MPH by RPM for the 1995 A-Star and found this. Accurate? Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like if I keep it in the 62 - 70 mph range I would be fine driving it in 3rd. Van only worth $1k.

Attachments

• 1995 Aerostar 4L V-6 Gear MPH Max.jpg
    1995 Aerostar 4L V-6 Gear MPH Max.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 123

Yeah, 3rd should be 1 to 1 ratio, engine to driveshaft. Still, it will waste gas.

Anyone tell me where this fuseable link is located?

Attachments

• fuse Link E.jpg
    fuse Link E.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 119

Rear section of the driver side fender.
2020-04-01_051808.jpg

Looking at my attached photo, does "A", "B" or "C" house the fuseable links C,E,F or J? Been driving it around in 3rd. This is the last item on my list to check out before considering tranny shirt modules. Thanks.

Thanks.
200426 Fuseable Links.jpg

The fused link should be able to be tested with a standard multimeter set to ohms. If the fused link is bad it’ll show an open, out of limits, or extremely high ohm value.

The fused link should be able to be tested with a standard multimeter set to ohms. If the fused link is bad it’ll show an open, out of limits, or extremely high ohm value.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plan to swap out the TPS since a under $20 part. also been shopping for the correct 3-4 shift and TCC solenoids. Some on eBay list A4LD kits with both solenoids but for only up to 1994 Aerostar. Is the 95 A4LD different?

Back