1995 Aerostar. Surging in overdrive & 3rd gear. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Aerostar. Surging in overdrive & 3rd gear.

aerodog

Reaction score
City, State
ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford aerostar
changed plugs wires coil pack, 2 o2 sensors, tps, 2 mafs, fuel filter,pressure checked on pump. rebuilt torque converter installed and the vehicle starts lunging or surging at about 35-40 in od and especially when going up hill.last visit to the shop bought me this little gem, for $650. and this is I believe is the key, when it starts to surge or rattle if you tap the brake it will smooth itself out for a few seconds then return. what does the brake tapping affect? and yes the egr has been checked, last tip the c/c does not work..love the van but the pain will not go away...also had bands adjusted

95 aero surge

thanx for your reply, I have had this vehicle in shops 6 or 7 times now and the only code it throws is for the MAF probably because the air box doesnt seal perfectly, but I have replaced 2 new MAFs and the airbox seal was probably worse before the surging started. Additionally this problem started after I took the vehicle to a dealer to get the turn signal fixed. I have read all 29 pages of aerostar problems and one lady stated that the wiring on the steering column could get reinstalled improperly resulting in numerous glitches??The shop that replaced my torque converter, to no avail, said they would look at it again, possibly at no cost to me, but where would you suggest they go? If tapping the brake changes something is that a valid place to start looking? Lastly, played a lot of 2 on 2 basketball under and around the Brooklyn bridge after school in the 60s. Great memories..thanks

Did you have the multifunction switched replaced when you said that the turn signals were fixed? At first I thought that you were referring to the flasher near the driver's side kick panel. What was the code number? There is a TCC solenoid in the valve body which controls the torque converter lock up.

Back