1995 Aerostar. What is the correct operating temperature? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Aerostar. What is the correct operating temperature?

95starRWD

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Aerostar 3.0 L XLT RWD
Hey all, I have a 1995 Ford Aerostar 3.0 L XLT. 133k miles. RWD
To get out of the way, here is everything I’ve done to the van thus far:
Idle air control valve, PCV valve, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, idler pulleys, power steering pump, and literally every suspension component (and all bushings).

Hey all, I have a 1995 Ford Aerostar 3.0 L XLT
133k miles. RWD
To get out of the way, here is everything I’ve done to the van thus far:
Idle air control valve, PCV valve, water pump, thermostat, serp. Belt, idler pulleys, power steering pump, and literally every suspension component (and all bushings)

I’m no mechanic, but an mechanically inclined and have done all the work myself. (I’m 20, this car is older than me).

Im having two main issues.
1. Engine is not getting to operating temp (stays at O)
Rough idle. Seems to run fine, can’t feel or hear any misfire while running, good power and acceleration.

Question 1- What would cause the coolant system not to get to operating temp? I re-removed the thermostat snd it’s not stuck. I think I have a small leak somewhere, only ever loses about a quart of coolant and no more. Cannot trace leak, I think it’s burning off. Have only smelled coolant a handful of times and couldn’t locate the source.

Question 2- could the engine not warming up enough cause a rough idle? I was thinking more along the lines of a vacuum leak. Couldn’t find anything visually was going to replace all the lines though. I’ve changed the oil 3 times and am confident it’s not a head gasket issue. I’ve seen it before on other vehicles. Checked CARFAX rad was replaced 3 years ago, or 20k miles ago.
important note is I have an exhaust leak on the passenger side going into the Y pipe from the header. About half inch gap. Could this loss of backpressure cause the rough idle?

question 3- occasionally I can smell gas. Very briefly, can’t find any relation to weather or starting conditions. Could I have an injector stuck open causing it to run lean?

Thankyou in advance for any replies. I really love this van, it fits my lifestyle well between space for my work tools and camping, etc. not afraid to work on it and not afraid to dump some $$.

-Gavin

while I’m new to Aerostars, if referring to operating temp and the gauge stays at the letter “O” in Normal... that’s where mine stays on the gauge also, do You get good heat from the heater? If so I’d say it’s getting to operating temp
for the rough idle I’d start with plugs, wires, new cap and rotor and fix the exhaust leak, not sure about the gas smell, check the gas lines for leaks

Welcome to this forum! Check the temperature of the engine with an infrared gun. The gauge doesn't have temperature marks. Check the cooling system with a cooling system pressure gauge to locate the leak.

Back