Solved - 1995 Aerostar with a 4.0L engine. I have oil pressure at idle but not when driving. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1995 Aerostar with a 4.0L engine. I have oil pressure at idle but not when driving.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
The dog house cover has a few straps holding it down. The center console or the ABS module under the dashboard might be in the way if you try to pull off the cover but there's a way to wiggle it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Called Ford; it's called a camshaft position sensor transducer. It has the oil pump drive gear attached. F3TZ-12K-073A (obsolete) Dorman 30S2605 or Cardone 84S2605. I'll open the dog house tomorrow and check for wear.

My bad, I should have paid closer attention to the year of your van. My 91 doesn't have that sensor. It is just a plug with the pump shaft on it. removal is the same as a distributor, 13mm bolt holds a washer over one side. It will twist as you pull it out. If you can please post pictures of it and the camshaft gear.

Unbelievable!

Got the doghouse off per your instructions. My shaft did not have any wires connected to it. Ford parts did me wrong. Mine was as Josh P described. Pics attached. The gear and shaft were in fine shape.

Attachments

• 160120 Oil Pump Drive Gear 1.jpg
    160120 Oil Pump Drive Gear 1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 160120 Oil Pump Drive Gear 2.jpg
    160120 Oil Pump Drive Gear 2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 168

Unbelievable part 2

Next step was to finish a flushing of the oil pan and hopefully cleaning the screen.
-I dropped the oil, then installed the drain plug
-Added 1 1/2 quarts of mineral spirits down the fill hole
-Shook the van back and forth and let it sit for an hour
-Attached the mech. oil pressure gauge to a couple hard hoses under van
-dropped the mineral spirits
-once down to a 2 second drip bent the straw of a can of brake clean upward at a 90 degree. shot it through the drain plug hole all around. Used a half can.
-once down to a 2 second drip installed the drain plug
-Filled with a Wally World brand of 5w-30
-started the engine

In two seconds it was quiet and I thought holy crap! I looked at the mech. oil pressure gauge. No way! Look at this! 54 pounds of oil pressure!

Attachments

• 160120 Oil Pressure Gauge Good 2.jpg
    160120 Oil Pressure Gauge Good 2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 161

Those teeth look brand new, glad you got it fixed.

Unbelievable part 3

Now we're cooking!

Replaced the gauge with a new oil pressure switch/sender. I had to use teflon pipe tape to get a good seal to fitting. Started her up and bam! Ok probably a poor choice of words. Back in the zone on the dash gauge. Drove it for 15 minutes 60-70mph on the nearby interstate. stayed where it belonged.

You guys know your s**t! Thanks a ton Brooklyn, Don and Josh for answering my time in need. Now I can continue my ice fishing schedule.

Charlie, Cedar Lake Tuna or as the Icepac call me "pond solo"

Attachments

• 160120 Oil Pressure Dash Gauge.jpg
    160120 Oil Pressure Dash Gauge.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 145

Spec is 40-60 psi at 2k rpm. 54 is a good number.

Glad you got er fixed! Now take it easy on it and look out that you might need to change the oil and filter again in a few days driving.Lotta dirt may have broken loose,so keep an eye on it. Taking an extra oil change with you might not be a bad idea. don-ohio

Back