• Register Today It's free!

1995 Aerostar with an A4LD issue.

mopar#1

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 aerostar
hi, i have a 95 aerostar,everything was fine untill my emission test.
when i had to rev it and hold it at high rpms, right at the end of the test smoke rolled out from under the vehicle "not oil smoke" but smoke that had a funny odor kind of like wires but not quite. the tech almost crapped himself wanted me out the door in a hurry. i pulled out and there was no more smoke and i couldn't tell where it had come from. nothing wet,leaking, or burnt wires.
so he lets me back in to do the fuel tank pressure test and when i start to back up the van "jumps" all the way back. after being enlightened by this "tech" he decides to "let me pass".
so i put it in drive and away i go, no problems. a few shifts from drive to reverse back to drive everything seems fine.
then one day, say a week or two later i come home from work and the wife says the van doesn't want to go forward, it will but it doesn't want to, engine revs high but barely crawls along. so i go out to check it out. goes forward fine but jumps in reverse. i change the fluid and filter with no results "fluid was a little dark" so i find you guys and check my modulator, sure enough there is fluid in the vacuum line, i install a new modulator. then its slow going into first and slips a little, then slips a little in second, but does great the rest of the shifts. so i turn the allen screw on the modulator a few turns in, goes into drive with very little hesitation. road test it and it doesn't slip although shift points are farther out "higher rpm", then after about 3 miles "around the block" i lose all forward gears and have to back it home.
let it cool off and tried again still no forward gears. gonna get a junkyard tranny as soon as i can swing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

138,000 miles. Do you REALLY think it's the modulator setting?

i'll let you know what it does when i put the modulator back in "autozone" position

still no forward gears, will back up though.

The next step is to rebuild the valve body. Check the sticky thread in the transmission section called the A4LD valve body rebuild diary. I would suggest that you connect a 0 - 300 PSI test gauge onto the rear test port, and check the pressure in each gear range before you remove the valve body. I'm sure that the pressure will be low in each forward gear, but the reverse gear will be higher.

when i pull the pan this weekend, if i don't see any metal shavings/chips i'll seriously consider it, i've viewed the valve body rebuild sticky and feel confident in my ability to do it. but the autozone / napa stores do not have the parts or gaskets.

i have my junkyard transmission, gotta get my new seals in it and filter. I'm gonna do my best to flush out the cooler. wish me luck. probably still gonna be awhile before install. spare time after work is hard to come by. but the wife wants her wheels back! it's been a month and she's tiring of the 12mpg 454 suburban.

How many miles do you have on the junkyard transmission? Did you get a remanufactured torque converter? What kind of warranty does it have? You should rebuild the old transmission, and save it as a spare.

108,000 - no I'm using tourqe converter that came with it. unless thats a big no no.
it has a 90 day warranty. and I'm gonna look into my old tranny to see what failed.
possibly rebiulding it. but probably not:)

I finally got my junkyard transmission in this weekend.
so far it's working fine, put about 70 miles on it so far.
2nd seems to hit a little harder at times but usually shifts smooth through all gears.
now I'm saving up for the exhaust. it was pretty rusty, and with the flex and movement of removing and replacing the trans. it has gotten a little noisy.
something noteworthy, I accessed my torque converter nuts through the starter hole
because my Y pipe and transmission cooler lines blocked ACCESS through the ACCESS hole. the haynes manual said to drop the y-pipe But thats a headache I didn,t want to deal with.
I have a socket set from Ace hardware with a "wobble extension" it worked great for getting the torque converter nuts off.

update, junkyard tranny
still going strong. now I've got a seal leaking power steering fluid.
right where the steering shaft connects to the "steering gear"
all the local parts shops say "dealer only". any ideas?

update, junkyard tranny
still going strong. now I've got a seal leaking power steering fluid.
right where the steering shaft connects to the "steering gear"
all the local parts shops say "dealer only". any ideas?

To get the best and most complete answers, please start a new thread when you have new issues.

Back