1995 - Dora the explorer SAS | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 - Dora the explorer SAS

Hey guys... this is humbling to be able register here. I know that there are like 4 guys going to register very soon.
lizardtrac, morrisey0, FMExplorer, muskrat, jeffseal... i know there are others, but these are the guys who have helped me out in so many ways. not to mention coryl - the guy is an inspiration.

Started with 1995 XLT with 170,000 on the ticker and a tax refund check! (thanks uncle Sam)

I had torn up 2 sets of wheel bearings in the past year, needed to replace control arms, ball joints, my fourth cv axle... in all it was going to be nearly $1k in parts to replace parts that were just worn out... so the old noggin started working. wife got her a new/used car for her and gave me the go ahead to tackle this project.

Ill detail everything in the days to come and am willing to answer and questions, but ill tell like everyone else - do a search first and/or start with this thread
right now i have a High Pinion dana 30 axle out of a 1992 YJ (jeep wrangler) this was a steal of a deal and i snagged it from a fellow i work with. I was attracted to it since it is reverse cut gears, parts are easy to find and gnerally inexpensive, the axle was in excellent condition, the bolt pattern would remain the same, and i got it, with springs, and steering linkage for $250.

the springs were from a 70s wagoneer.

to achieve lift I relocated springs over the axle.

i gotta cut this short since im at work but ill update as soon as i can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry guy everything on my ex is different now. the sway bar and its mounts are long gone. now is the front end from a dodge 3/4 ton. the only thing i have is the diagram above. all i did was make mounting brackets and mounted the sway bar like a ranger or BKO.

my inbox is not full now. sorry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Steering

Hey there! When you got the gearbox for the steering, I noticed that the 91-94 explorers have a much taller frame then the 95 up. I have a 95 and are doing the same sas swap, but with coils and custom Long arms. How much of a pain was it to weld the sterring gearbox to the frame or did you bolt it on? And those pics, what all did you have to do to mate the rack and pinion steering shaft to the gearbox besides use the ranger end? It loos like I can use the whole shaft from a 91 and bolt it on with some spacer shims. Thanks
Shawn

updates ??

updates:
1- went to IL for vacation for 2 weeks.
2- kid had tonsilectomy
3- i had tonsilectomy (blucking sucks)
4-oh the truck? :)

no real work done on my part. my uncle is building the motor. i need to finish up the suspension on the front. i have the leafs and everything ready but now im contemplating going coilover...its all about $. the problem with getting this project done is having the jeep to play with. normally if i had a broken truck i would work on it until it was driveable but now since i can go play i usually do.

excuse excuse i know...

soon i hope.

I'm curious to know what operates the steering on the truck. Did you swap in a steering box ?

yes steering box. using the 3/4 ton dodge box.

BUCHVILLEMAN said:
yes steering box. using the 3/4 ton dodge box.

how did you work out the power steering hoses ? Have any pics?

Back