1995 Explorer EEC-1V or EEC-V | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer EEC-1V or EEC-V

Robertalfa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
How to find out if I have eec-1v or eec-v
System. Engine randomly stops while driving, I must DIY diagnosis and fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look alongside the battery next to the power disty center. Should be the computer interface. Ignore the OBD-II under the dash. It's more or less a place holder sense OBD-II started in 1996.

If it's not been tampered with in the past. It might be clipped between the brake booster and the power disty center as well.

And yes, it should be EEC-IV.

Engine stops at random while driving. Quick fire guess? Crank Position Sensor can cause this. But then again? So can a lot of things.

They still sell an EEC-IV bit for that interface. But honestly? Pick up a Haynes manual and it will show the connector, basic code listings..And how to trigger the computer into test mode. Might be a good chance it stored codes.

S-

I have a late 95 manufacture which is considered a 96. OBD-II is implemented fully and it is EEC-V. I don't see why earlier 95s shouldn't be the same - haven't heard of them not fully implementing OBD-II protocol. Ford unlike GM was pretty good about such things.

Going to need to examine under the hood. Ours has both connections. But the obd2 port does nothing. The eec4 port under the hood is how our 95 is. Hate mid year changes... Going to need some detective work from the op to solve this one.

EEC-IV is a 60 pin module. EEC-V is 104 pin. It should also be on the module sticker.

I have a late 95 manufacture which is considered a 96. OBD-II is implemented fully and it is EEC-V. I don't see why earlier 95s shouldn't be the same - haven't heard of them not fully implementing OBD-II protocol. Ford unlike GM was pretty good about such things.
The 1995 Explorer has the eeciv module, it uses Ford proprietary protocols. The Engine codes are read with the under hood connector. The OBD2 connector under the steering wheel reads the abs, air bag, and gem modules. The 1996 Explorer has the eecv module, it uses obd2 standardized protocols. The OBD2 connector under the steering wheel reads the engine codes along with the other systems because the eecv module is OBD2 compliant.

Back