1995 Explorer Transmission Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer Transmission Replacement

EvermanJ

Reaction score
City, State
Cloudcroft, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Hello,

Thank you for all and any advice, I will be replacing a '95 Explorer transmission and am looking for any suggestions or advice.
-------------------------------------
My nephew's '95 Explorer had a bad radiator -where the ATF was in the coolant, and coolant was in the transmission. We replaced the radiator and flushed both, the Explorer ran fine for a few days but quickly ran into trouble.

I wasn't there, but he told me one day there were grinding noises and the transmission was unresponsive, but after some time he got it into "drive". It, again, ran fine for a day or two, but then the car wouldn't shift into "drive" and they had to reverse it into the driveway, and that's where it sits. He was using Dexron instead of Mercon, but from what I've read it shouldn't cause such a major problem.

So, I've located a transmission from a salvage yard with low miles, a warranty, around $340. For that price I was planing to entirely replace the transmission. If anyone who has some insider knowledge on this, is this a good plan? Is it possible there is a simpler solution that I'm not seeing? Once again, thanks.

Back