1995 Explorer XL personal thread | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer XL personal thread

Might be able to meet you part way if that helps. I hate to see it go to waste.

Still have not decided if I am going to remove the 40 portion or not. I like having the seat but also like the potential of having the space.

I will be in Sacramento later this month if that helps any with logistics.
still too far :( dont really have a use for it either, just wouldnt want it to go to waste either. its another one of the i dont need it, but it sure does look nice things :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have trucks running from Seattle to Los Angeles on a regular basis, with enough notice I could get it on a truck headed south.

I have trucks running from Seattle to Los Angeles on a regular basis, with enough notice I could get it on a truck headed south.
i mean definitely a nice seat. but to be honest, not sure id have much use for it... :(

Anyone know of a recycle / junk yard that specializes in Ford Explorer or similar parts?

Maybe I can just give it to them so it can be used by someone.

Ideally not too far away.

I am thinking about adding a 120 vac outlet on the passenger side of the explorer.

The reason is that it would make it easy to plug in things and still have the doors remain closed.

Might even add a power inlet / charge point so if the solar isn't keeping up with my needs, I can charge up the power station before going out to the shop.

You can think of it all sort of like the RV outlets that are on RVs, but I would just use a 15 amp connection - not a 30 amp RV version. They are roughly 2 inch diameter circles and have a rubber cap that is water resistant but not completely weather proof.

Looking for ideas of where to mount them.

Probably will not try to remove the interior trim as it is nearly 30 years old and will likely crack. Open to drilling and carving through it though - as it is almost 30 years old.

The power station final location will be on the floor (foot area) of where we removed the 60 portion of the rear seat.

Wondering if it makes sense to drill through the wheel well area or if that is built up from multiple layers of sheet metal?

I will try to get a photo this weekend of where I am wondering about.

I'd use a 110v male plug under the front bumper, setup like an engine block heater cord. Route the wiring through the firewall and hidden under the interior.

I'd use a 110v male plug under the front bumper, setup like an engine block heater cord. Route the wiring through the firewall and hidden under the interior.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am not sure why I was so over focused on putting them through the side of the Explorer sheet metal.

Since there is a power "in" and "out" it will take both a male and female.

I might end up putting them through the rear bumper but you are right - the side panels are more challenging.

It was raining cats and dogs yesterday but today I will look at some possible wire routing.

(After I figure out why the alarm decided to disable starting the explorer when I needed to go to the shop)

Need to remove that stupid thing. The only person it stops is me.

I was lazy and just poked it out wherever was easiest.

942794CC-BB3E-41F1-8D4E-8965017AFEE0.jpeg

It looks like your kia / ford is eating
Dodge wiring from the side of the road

It looks like your ford is eating
at least its not chevy wiring! let it sit long enough itll deteriorate itself if mice dont get to it! mmmmm soy!

It looks like your kia / ford is eating
I tucked it in for the picture. It was dangling.

The alarm on the explorer has been troublesome and it wasn't completely obvious what was going on.

It seemed like perhaps there was an association with rain so I started to chase it down that way.

The alarm system basically keeps me from using the vehicle but I am not sure that it would stop anyone else.

I finally had to let it drain down the starter battery to the point that it would not keep going off when I opened the doors so I could work on it without bothering the neighbors. Nonetheless they are sort of looking at me funny as I finally just stopped waiting for it to stop raining and went at it in the driveway this evening.

The original installation actually wasn't too bad, but these types of connections are just not water resistant, so pulling things out and trying to get it all going. These were covered with electrical tape and inside of split loom - so a decent effort but not water proof.

There (was) a relay just left of that red fuse holder (in the battery photo) that seems to connect to some lights under the radiator and the ignition might still be blocked from working - so I need to do some more wire tracing. It was mounted using the radiator bolt.

Still want the explorer to work even after I pull out the un desired wires. :)

Still to go are some connections to lights on the front that require pulling off some plastic under the radiator area.

Not sure if it will fix the problem but feels like progress.

Explorer alarm molex connection.jpg Explorer alarm auto style crimp connection.jpg explorer alarm battery negative.jpg

Not completely sure if I am on the right path or not.

Digging around today in between rain storm periods - found that this braided strap is only connected on one end.

Originally I wondered if someone had cut it, but looking more closely it has slipped out of the crimped on terminal.

I am still looking for where the other end was originally attached, but I assume to the engine block. Probably the exact location does not matter that much.

The explorer is parked in my driveway / slight hill. I am too thick to get completely under it to look around everywhere - guess that is why a lot of good mechanics are skinny vs me.

Right now the vehicle is electrically completely dead. No head lights, dash board does not light up, turning the ignition key does not do anything at all.

I need to dig through some more info on the alarm and see if it has somehow just completely disabled it because I feel like I am missing something completely.

It is raining again so I guess research is in order.

Harry

Explorer braided cable.jpg

Not completely sure if I am on the right path or not.

Digging around today in between rain storm periods - found that this braided strap is only connected on one end.

Originally I wondered if someone had cut it, but looking more closely it has slipped out of the crimped on terminal.

I am still looking for where the other end was originally attached, but I assume to the engine block. Probably the exact location does not matter that much.

The explorer is parked in my driveway / slight hill. I am too thick to get completely under it to look around everywhere - guess that is why a lot of good mechanics are skinny vs me.

Right now the vehicle is electrically completely dead. No head lights, dash board does not light up, turning the ignition key does not do anything at all.

I need to dig through some more info on the alarm and see if it has somehow just completely disabled it because I feel like I am missing something completely.

It is raining again so I guess research is in order.

Harry

View attachment 438178
that ground strap goes to the rear of the engine block and that will cause alot of things not to work

that ground strap goes to the rear of the engine block and that will cause alot of things not to work
Them ground straps can really can be a pain and cause way too many issues! Fix that up and I'd almost bet that solves a few issues

Them ground straps can really can be a pain and cause way too many issues! Fix that up and I'd almost bet that solves a few issues
Yep for sure

Somewhere in my garage I have a box of these braided cables made by Vemstrap.

They are rated for > 200 amps in terms of wire cross section / width plus of course very high wire count as they were purchased for a special high vibration RF grounding project. Unfortunately likely too short but will keep looking for them.

They look like this one:

I am assuming that the back of the engine block connection is too hot for a wire with insulation ?

Ground strap
$5.49 at AutoZone
Bolts to the right head on the back

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get a ground strap at ny auto store. Any real audio shop will also make you one. There’s definitely insulation that could withstand the heat of a motor, it’s just not needed.

Back