• Register Today It's free!

1995 gas tank size?

timcali69

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
Hey there I've looked through the manual and online and cannot find what the size of the tank is.. :( I filled up the tank and got 250 miles out of it and just wanted to know what kind of gas mileage I got.. Any help with the size would be great and appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the stock capacity is 20 gallons.

21 gallons

Measure gas consumption

Hey there I've looked through the manual and online and cannot find what the size of the tank is.. :( I filled up the tank and got 250 miles out of it and just wanted to know what kind of gas mileage I got.. Any help with the size would be great and appreciated.

Example on how to calculate gas consumption:

Fill whenever......halfway for example and document: 10.5 gals

Drive over the river and through the woods..... 40 miles later fill it up same pump.

Fill and document amount: 8.2 gals

here is the fun part....

10.5 gals - 8.2 gals = 2.3 Gallons of gas consumed at 40 miles

40 miles/ 2.3 Gallons of gas consumed = 17.39 miles per gallon

$2.50 per gallon/ 17.39 miles per gallon = .14 cents per mile

think smarter not harder

the manual say 21 gallons for the 4 door explorer, but when i full up my explorer from empty it took about 24 gallons and i could put more.

no idea if it was something wrong with the pump

Ah you have the Explorer gas tank to nowhere syndrome. I have gotten 24 gallons in my tank many times as well. It's not the pump.

They always rate it "a little low" the extra you get (usually about 3 gallons) is what they call "reserve". The light (if so equipped) comes on at the rated level (21 Gal), but you can still drive 50 more miles (if you're getting good mileage that day) :)

I do my rough mileage calculation by filling up, resetting trip, driving, driving, driving, filling up. Take number of miles driven divided by number of gallons pumped in, get mileage.

i.e. today I filled up after driving 255 miles since the last fill up, put in 16.2 Gal, got 15.7 MPG, kinda sucky this time, usually I get 17-18.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Looks like a got a crappy 12mpg.. :( I wonder if this K&N filter will help out at all.. I put it in yesterday.. :)

Back