1995 Radio Bezel Replacement | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

1995 Radio Bezel Replacement

b

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Here's a question for the moderators or keenly experienced radio-heads for my 1995 XLT 4dr 4WD: I finally got around to upgrading the factory stereo tape to a cd player, nothing special, but noticed that the black radio trim unit has broken clips (the integrated plastic pieces which attach to the clips actually) on the top. I have always noticed the loseness since owning the rig, used but never took it apart to find the cause.

My questions are these: what other years can I apply to this model, is used a problem as new part 044D70 appears to be $221.62 from the dealer, and is a fog light button important when I don't have fog lights? I have found some 1995-98 used replacement bezels but all have a fog light button.

I have called two local dealers and two different 'wrecking' yards for information or part number cross references but none have been helpful so far. I also have done a search on this and other websites, finding both the original and replacement parts hard to trace down or determine what fits.

Help

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I've got a 2000 with a '04 Ford Explorer SPORT bezel. From 95-01, are the same. The 01-04 Explorer Sport and Sport Trac bezels will fit also. DO NOT pay $200 bucks for a bezel please. I got both of mine for 30 a piece. If you don't need a fog light and it has one, it doesn't matter. It doesnt have the button on it, just the opening for it.

<

b

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Thanks
I will scope out Ebay a little more carefully now. The second dealer parts department mentioned that only 1995 and 1996 years would work for my rig, however.

Ben :confused:

<

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
I got one from the junkyard for $10.

<

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
95-00 Explorers and 01+ Sports all have the same bezel.

<

b

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Ok, thanks for the help guys.

One last question, however: If I am able to find a bezel which has a different year than 1995-96 and up to 2001, do the labels behind the knobs come out or off and can they be interchanged with the correct ones from my damaged trim piece?

I have found that different years not only have the fog light button (where I don't have the lights) but different wording behind the 4WD button. I don't think mine says AUTO, HI and then LOW but that's what I commonly see. Mine says 2WD, 4WD Auto and 4WD Low, so it's the reason why I ask.

TIA

<

kelly2

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
FYI: 95-03? (i think) rangers will work also. the piece labeling the 4wd switch can be changed; with some creativity. easiest way to describe it is at the factory, they are slid down plastic "poles" then the poles are melted down (we call it plasti-welded in our shop). they can be broke off then glued back in place.

<

b

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
OK, to close out the thread: I finally found a 96 4x4 XLT bezel, which had the correct labels on the dials, at a junkyard for $27. I know, a bit high but I got all the buttons (for later replacements as needed) and even a cigarette lighter (which I didn't have before) too! Now, no more rattle or looseness and despite the extra fog light button and one scratch, it looks and feels sharp again.

Ben :thumbsup:

<