• Register Today It's free!

1995 Radio Bezel Replacement

b

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Here's a question for the moderators or keenly experienced radio-heads for my 1995 XLT 4dr 4WD: I finally got around to upgrading the factory stereo tape to a cd player, nothing special, but noticed that the black radio trim unit has broken clips (the integrated plastic pieces which attach to the clips actually) on the top. I have always noticed the loseness since owning the rig, used but never took it apart to find the cause.

My questions are these: what other years can I apply to this model, is used a problem as new part 044D70 appears to be $221.62 from the dealer, and is a fog light button important when I don't have fog lights? I have found some 1995-98 used replacement bezels but all have a fog light button.

I have called two local dealers and two different 'wrecking' yards for information or part number cross references but none have been helpful so far. I also have done a search on this and other websites, finding both the original and replacement parts hard to trace down or determine what fits.

Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a 2000 with a '04 Ford Explorer SPORT bezel. From 95-01, are the same. The 01-04 Explorer Sport and Sport Trac bezels will fit also. DO NOT pay $200 bucks for a bezel please. I got both of mine for 30 a piece. If you don't need a fog light and it has one, it doesn't matter. It doesnt have the button on it, just the opening for it.

Thanks
I will scope out Ebay a little more carefully now. The second dealer parts department mentioned that only 1995 and 1996 years would work for my rig, however.

Ben :confused:

I got one from the junkyard for $10.

95-00 Explorers and 01+ Sports all have the same bezel.

Ok, thanks for the help guys.

One last question, however: If I am able to find a bezel which has a different year than 1995-96 and up to 2001, do the labels behind the knobs come out or off and can they be interchanged with the correct ones from my damaged trim piece?

I have found that different years not only have the fog light button (where I don't have the lights) but different wording behind the 4WD button. I don't think mine says AUTO, HI and then LOW but that's what I commonly see. Mine says 2WD, 4WD Auto and 4WD Low, so it's the reason why I ask.

TIA

FYI: 95-03? (i think) rangers will work also. the piece labeling the 4wd switch can be changed; with some creativity. easiest way to describe it is at the factory, they are slid down plastic "poles" then the poles are melted down (we call it plasti-welded in our shop). they can be broke off then glued back in place.

OK, to close out the thread: I finally found a 96 4x4 XLT bezel, which had the correct labels on the dials, at a junkyard for $27. I know, a bit high but I got all the buttons (for later replacements as needed) and even a cigarette lighter (which I didn't have before) too! Now, no more rattle or looseness and despite the extra fog light button and one scratch, it looks and feels sharp again.

Ben :thumbsup:

Back