• Register Today It's free!

1995 ranger 55e trans question

Dave Livesay

Reaction score
City, State
Covington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford ranger xlt
Hi ....new here...Have looked thru threads and can't find anything about my problem (maybe not looking in the right place) My trans stopped moving....pump seems to be working. Dropped the pan and no funny stuff in it so I'm thinking electrical prob. Pulled the valve body and gaskets have no breaks or pieces missing. The truck will move in one gear(Limp mode) and you can get reverse if you rev the engine .O/d light would sometimes flash.. I found several places on the internal solenoid harness where the outer wire insulation has cracked and wire is exposed.Can this be shorting out? Also the truck will pull a hill great in the one gear,no slipping. Wasn't slipping before just happened all of a sudden.....Not an automatic guy so I'm stumped...Any suggestions would be great........Thanks

how many miles?
1995 should be 4r55e transmission behind the 4.0L OHV engine
When you say it moves in "limp mode" do you mean by you manually forcing 1st gear with the column shifter?
Does it ever shift to 2 when pulling that hill, can you force a shift to 2?

Hi Fortune,thanks for your reply.......Prob is a 4r..... Have to check the tag.....Truck has about 165,000 on it. Trans wasn't making any strange noises,no leaks..It did shift a little rough from 1 to 2...By limp mode I mean when the o/d light started flashing it would only move forward in one gear. This happened while I was driving it home. when in drive doesn't shift out of first.Had it towed home and drove it up the road to see if it would shift. There is a steep hill nearby and it went up in first ok,no slipping..when you shift from park into drive it will take right off,no hesitation..Maybe a broken band?......Thanks

flashing OD light is indeed limp mode, also transmission code should now be in memory
Let me ask my trans builder about this one, he is a wiz at the 4r and 5r....

Back