1995 Transmission Repair Advice

Concept156

Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited
Hey...

Well, my transmission just went out on my X (95, Limited 4WD), and I was wondering how much I should expect to pay to have it fixed. The dealer wants $2829 (before tax...). Is there a cheaper way to go, where I can get as good of work done? I have been taking my X to them for about four years and they have always done a great job. But, then again, they've never quoted three grand for a repair before...

Anyways, if you have any suggestions they would be most welcome :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was a few hundred less than that for a complete rebuild (all new parts except for case) and 2 year warranty. Cottman Transmissions.

A bit pricey but they did a great job, customer care was great, and it took less than 2 days.

Cool... how many miles did you have on yours when it went? I've got about 141,000 right now... I figured it was due to go out, I was just hoping it would wait until I graduate in May...

For $3000 they are offering a brand new transmission and a three year warranty... so for a few hundred more, maybe it's worth it.

Mine had 65k and a supercharger ;)

i say send it off of a cliff, lol... i've gone thru so many transmissions in my 95, finally i swapped it out for a stick, and it just went this week... but this time i'm doing it myself, so far all the parts are running me about 575

How many miles did that stick have on it? How many autos did you go through.

Maybe you just drive like crap, LOL ;)

the truck its self has rightabout 200,000 on it, and i went thru 5 autos before i put the stick in it about 20,000 miles ago. but the big mistake i made is, i used parts right off of a 93. i'm kickin myself for not goin wiht all new parts the first time:rolleyes:

Back