1995 Turns over but will not start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Turns over but will not start

ChristenaH

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Our 1995 Ford Explorer has been having an intermittent starting problem. The fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator has been replaced and we still having the problem.

The other day we took it out of park and put it back in park and it started - strange. Seems to start for a couple days and then decide it just wants to turn over.

Also we have found sometimes when the car is running we can pull the key out of the ignition??!! Could that cause any of the problem?

Suggestions on what to try next greatly appreciated! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 1997 did the same thing, turned out to be a dirty crank sensor. Cleaned the connector and the sensor face. Started right up after that. Mine is a 4.0L SOHC though, not the OHV like yours.

Thanks Willcall - I'll see if my husband can find it and clean it :)

Didn't Work

Didn't work replacing the crank sensor.
I did find that if I take the explorer out of park it will sometimes start in neutral or from park to neutral to park and it will start.
Starts about 3 times and then stops again.
Help!

You could be having a problem with the neutral safety switch circuit. If the computer doesn't see the gear selector in P or N the car won't start. I had a similar problem with my mom's volvo, I ended up being able to adjust hers, not sure about the x's though.

As for being able to remove the key in the on position, that's a bad ignition lock cylinder.

Thank you Hambone101 - I will pass this on to my husband and see if he can figure this one out. He did a great job replacing the sensor -- had a hail storm part way through lol

Back